emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* prioritizing and categorizing items in checklist
@ 2014-08-26  9:36 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2014-08-26  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I probably either messed the formatting of my list up or tried to do
something emacs-orgmode can't yet handle.   If I have formatting problems
could someone look this list over and let me know how to fix them?
cut here.
#+TAGS @TODO @DONE
#+LastUpdate: [2014-08-26 Tue]
* :CATEGORY:@Clotheing:
** [#A] [X] replace 4 undershirts, 				       :DONE:
** [#A] [x] get shoehorn, 					       :done:
** [#B] [ ] get mittens and winter coat when available,		       :todo:
** [#A] [ ] get four pair compression socks,

* :CATEGORY:@hygiene:
** [#A] [/] pick up tool for gums from Dr. Serici's office was left there at end of appointment and they don't stock those at KMart. :done:
** [#A] [/] get mouth wash,					       :done:
** [#B] [ ] get floss						       :todo:
* :CATEGORY:@food:
** DONE [#B] [x ] get snacks for when I don't get to soda socials,
** [#A] [ ] get restaurant phone numbers that will deliver added to Iphone,
* :CATEGORY:@technology:
** [#A] [ ] get external serial modem from staples (backup for hughesnet),
** [#A] [ ] get flat screen monitor for computer,
** [#A] [ ] get small am/fm radio for top of computer to listen to fm signals emitted by computer for when sighted assistance isn't available,
** [#A] [ ] At Apple Store find how many charges remain on Iphone 4s battery and get replacement cost for battery,
** [#A] [ ] start return process for obsolete apple computer,
** [#A] [ ] Replace obsolete Apple computer maybe with Ipad,
** [#A] [ ] November 2014 - get straight talk for Iphone,
** [#B] [ ] replace talking watch,
** [#B] [ ] get ac adapter for shortwave set from RadioShack,
** [#A] [ ] get flat screen monitor for computer,
** [#A] get small am/fm radio to listen to fm signals given off by computer and learn meaning of signals,
** [#A] [ ] get 2 replacement hard drives,
** [#A] [ ] Recurring check availability of any faster internet providers in area that
don't throttle data,
* :CATEGORY:@Retirement:
** [#A] [ ] find out from Dan what the correct Pennsylvania Withholding percentage is for federal retirees living in Pennsylvania; no withholding has yet been arranged for Pennsylvania.
** [#A] [ ] do social security card replacement paper work,
** [#A] [ ] get two pieces of mail addressed to me at current address without sticky labels,
** [#A] [ ] take social security card and two pieces of mail to d.m.v. and get Pennsylvania state id,
** [#A] [ ] November 2014 - evaluate 2015 healthcare plans,
** [#A] [ ] November 2014 - choose and change healthcare plans,
** [#B] [ ] Set up provisional budget with Jill,
*** [#B] [ ] Prepare financials for Dan,
** [#B] [ ] Find out if Dan is aware of Ed Slot and his material,
** [#B] [ ] Ask Dan for advice on best disposition of MetLife policy
containing I.R.A.
** [#B] [ ] Optimize tax avoidance for future,
** [#C] [ ] Prepare and file 2014 tax forms Maryland, Pennsylvania, and
Federal,
** [#C] [ ] Set up working budget based on work done with Dan and Jill,
* :CATEGORY:@Maintenance:
** TODO [#A] [ ] have computer cleaned out dust and fur burn motherboards,
** TODO [#A] [ ] check all hard drives for warranty expiration dates and label hard drives with expiration dates,

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

* Re: prioritizing and categorizing items in checklist
@ 2014-08-26  9:49 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-08-26  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> ** [#A] [X] replace 4 undershirts, :DONE:

Can headlines contain checkboxes? I thought they are plain-list syntax.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: prioritizing and categorizing items in checklist
@ 2014-08-26 16:31 ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2014-08-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jude DaShiell', emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I may be wrong here, but I believe you are conflating plain lists and headlines
Plain lists may include checkboxes and start with '-'
- [  ] list item one
- [  ] list item two
  - [X] list item two.one
Etc.

Headlines may get priorities and start with '*{1,}'
* TODO [#A] headline one
* TODO [#B] headline two
** WORK [#A] headline two.one
Etc.

I don't think you can include priorities in list items nor checkboxes in list items.
Lists are supposed to be a 'lightweight' version of TODO headlines.

They can, however, be mixed like this, where each headline has it's own separate list underneath it.

* TODO [#A] headline one
- [ ] list item one
- [ ] list item two
  - [ ] list item two.one
* WORK [#B] headline two
- [X] list item one
- [/] list item two
  - [X] list item two.one
  - [ ] list item two.two
** TODO [#A] headline two.one
- [ ] list item one
- [ ] list item two
Etc.

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.