emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* report a bug
@ 2009-12-02  7:53 Wentao Zheng
From: Wentao Zheng @ 2009-12-02  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I don't know what's real cause of the bug, the emacs, or the org-mode.

The bug looks like this:

    when I edit org file, then type <back tab> or use the menu to trigger
global cycling function, the emacs sometimes will crash with an error
message: Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault

It happens frequently when the cursor is located at non-header text. It
seems that if I change the cursor position into some places such as the
start of the document, it never crashes.

I'm using emacs-snapshot in debian lenny, with Linux kernel 2.6.31. And the
org-mode is checked out from git repository. Both latest version of org-mode
and 6.33 have the bug.

Thanks

--
Wentao Zheng

* Re: report a bug
@ 2009-12-02 17:07 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-02 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wentao Zheng; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Wentao,

this was Emacs bug #4131 which was fixed in August.  You need a newer
version of Emacs than that, best the current CVS version.

- Carsten

On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Wentao Zheng wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't know what's real cause of the bug, the emacs, or the org-mode.
>
> The bug looks like this:
>
>     when I edit org file, then type <back tab> or use the menu to
> trigger global cycling function, the emacs sometimes will crash with
> an error message: Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault
>
> It happens frequently when the cursor is located at non-header text.
> It seems that if I change the cursor position into some places such
> as the start of the document, it never crashes.
>
> I'm using emacs-snapshot in debian lenny, with Linux kernel 2.6.31.
> And the org-mode is checked out from git repository. Both latest
> version of org-mode and 6.33 have the bug.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Wentao Zheng

- Carsten

* Re: report a bug
@ 2009-12-03  8:36   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-12-03  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Wentao Zheng

It looks as if the 'snapshot' version available for lenny is pre-August:

 Archive contents:

lenny|main|i386: emacs-snapshot 1:20090730-1~lenny1
lenny|main|amd64: emacs-snapshot 1:20090730-1~lenny1
lenny|main|source: emacs-snapshot 1:20090730-1~lenny1

(from http://emacs.orebokech.com/)

Wow, that's a pretty severe bug for the release version to contain for
so long.   I've experienced it several times, but I couldn't put
together what the fault was.

It may not help you, but I see that the emacs-snapshot version for
Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) is from Sept 27.

Scot