emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* When is a TODO really a TODO ? ...
@ 2007-11-04 17:38 Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2007-11-04 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I'd just like to point a little issue when discussing TODO items. There
is frequently a tendency to confuse an item marked with "TODO" for a
TODO item ....

e.g

,----
| C-c C-v runs the command org-show-todo-tree
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `/home/shamrock/programming/lisp/org-5.13h/org.elc'.
| It is bound to C-c C-v, <menu-bar> <Org> <TODO Lists> <Show TODO Tree>, <menu-bar> <Org> <Special views current file> <TODO Tree>.
| (org-show-todo-tree arg)
|
| Make a compact tree which shows all headlines marked with TODO.
`----

Items marked with TODO are not more special than one marked with APPLE :
its all down to the sequences e.g

#+SEQ_TODO: APPLE(t) WAITING(w@) INPROGRESS(p@) | DONE(d) CANCELLED(x@) DELEGATED(l@)

And the org-show-todo-tree actually shows any tasks marked as "in
sequence" or "being processed" if you will

I mention this because I got confused a lot earlier in my experiences
with org-mode as to what TODO items really are. It seems, and please
correct me if I am wrong, that there really are not any TODO items -
there are only items assigned a process status. ie far more generic.

Anyway, just some idle thoughts!