emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Estimated times
@ 2007-10-28 22:10 Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2007-10-28 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to set a time estimate for a task
and then match it with actual logged time? After you finish it of
course.

Maybe something similar as checkbox counters.

 * TODO learn about emacs [0/2, 0h/20h]
   - [ ] read emacs manual (10h)
   - [ ] read  elisp manual (10h)

First counter counts the finished subtasks, second shows overall
logged time and the estimate.
Not very pretty, but I would imagine it as something like that. I
really like checkboxes :) It's a really nice way to create mini
subtasks.

Thanks, Sebastjan

* Re: Estimated times
@ 2007-10-29  9:08 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastjan Trepca <trepca <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if there is a way to set a time estimate for a task
> and then match it with actual logged time? After you finish it of
> course.
>
> Maybe something similar as checkbox counters.
>
>  * TODO learn about emacs [0/2, 0h/20h]
>    - [ ] read emacs manual (10h)
>    - [ ] read  elisp manual (10h)
>
> First counter counts the finished subtasks, second shows overall
> logged time and the estimate.

You might be able to do something with a column view. You define the effort as a
property and in your Column View you summarize the effort. Might be worth to
have a look at http://orgmode.org/org.html#Column-view

Christian

* Re: Re: Estimated times
@ 2007-10-29 15:51   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2007-10-29 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:08:08AM +0000, Christian Egli wrote:
> Sebastjan Trepca <trepca <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > I was wondering if there is a way to set a time estimate for a task
> > and then match it with actual logged time? After you finish it of
> > course.
> >
> > Maybe something similar as checkbox counters.
> >
> >  * TODO learn about emacs [0/2, 0h/20h]
> >    - [ ] read emacs manual (10h)
> >    - [ ] read  elisp manual (10h)
> >
> > First counter counts the finished subtasks, second shows overall
> > logged time and the estimate.
>
> You might be able to do something with a column view. You define the effort as a
> property and in your Column View you summarize the effort. Might be worth to
> have a look at http://orgmode.org/org.html#Column-view

I use tags for this at the moment:

   #+TAGS: { sub10(1) sub30(3) sub60(6) sub120(2) sub4(4) subday(d) }

   :sub10:   - estimate 10 minutes or less
   :sub30:   - estimate 30 minutes or less
   :sub60:   - estimate 60 minutes or less
   :sub120:  - estimate 120 minutes or less
   :sub4:    - estimate 4 hours or less
   :subday:  - estimate one day or less

Advantages:

   - can set very quickly via C-c C-c 1 etc.
   - prevents me from trying to be too accurate with my estimates
     (IMHO anything more fine-grained is probably unrealistic)
   - can be seen from .org file buffer

Disadvantages:

   - can't add up total time estimated for multiple TODOs
   - can't display in a column

Properties are probably ultimately a cleaner solution.  I presume you
could easily bind shortcuts to `org-entry-put' but I haven't tried it
or thought what the best shortcut keymap prefix would be instead of
C-c C-c (this would have the added advantage of freeing up shortcut
keys for tags).

* Re: Estimated times
@ 2007-10-29 16:22   ` Vagn Johansen
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2007-10-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> Sebastjan Trepca <trepca <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if there is a way to set a time estimate for a task
>> and then match it with actual logged time? After you finish it of
>> course.

[...]

> You might be able to do something with a column view. You define the
> effort as a property and in your Column View you summarize the
> effort. Might be worth to have a look at
> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Column-view

There was a thread about this recently

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg03950.html

* Re: Re: Estimated times
@ 2007-10-31 21:42     ` Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2007-10-31 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagn Johansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I managed to create a nice column view, except for the "logging work"
part. It uses its own format of date ranges so I cannot just simply
sum it as time estimates.

A new "time range" summary type would come handy ;)

Sebastjan