emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Stuck projects documentation suggestion
@ 2016-11-13 20:29 Jon Kristensen
From: Jon Kristensen @ 2016-11-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Looking at http://orgmode.org/manual/Stuck-projects.html>, it wasn't
clear to me that "+PROJECT/-MAYBE-DONE" was something called a "match
syntax". If the documentation could be extended to include this
information, and a link to the matching tags and properties page, it
would be more understandable for new users. (Of course, it would also
make the page more verbose, but I think the length of this page is short
enough that it could probably be an acceptable trade-off.)

The docstring for "org-stuck-projects" does include a reference to the
match syntax. (However, "C-h v" (describe variable) didn't work for
"org-stuck-projects" for me until I loaded "org-agenda", which was
surprising from my perspective as a newbie.)

All the best,
Jon

* Re: Stuck projects documentation suggestion
@ 2016-11-14 11:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Kristensen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jon Kristensen <info@jonkri.com> writes:

> Looking at http://orgmode.org/manual/Stuck-projects.html>, it wasn't
> clear to me that "+PROJECT/-MAYBE-DONE" was something called a "match
> syntax". If the documentation could be extended to include this
> information, and a link to the matching tags and properties page, it
> would be more understandable for new users.

Isn't it already done in the footnote in the page above?

Would you want to suggest a better wording for this page?

> The docstring for "org-stuck-projects" does include a reference to the
> match syntax. (However, "C-h v" (describe variable) didn't work for
> "org-stuck-projects" for me until I loaded "org-agenda", which was
> surprising from my perspective as a newbie.)

It should probably be renamed to `org-agenda-stuck-projects' then.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Stuck projects documentation suggestion
@ 2016-12-24 12:26   ` Jon Kristensen
From: Jon Kristensen @ 2016-12-24 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/14/2016 12:32 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jon Kristensen <info@jonkri.com> writes:
>
>> Looking at http://orgmode.org/manual/Stuck-projects.html>, it wasn't
>> clear to me that "+PROJECT/-MAYBE-DONE" was something called a "match
>> syntax". If the documentation could be extended to include this
>> information, and a link to the matching tags and properties page, it
>> would be more understandable for new users.
> Isn't it already done in the footnote in the page above?
>
> Would you want to suggest a better wording for this page?

Sorry for the late reply!

I think it looks alright now. :)