emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Feature request: adjust ~org-agenda-format-item~ to let the user choose the first level included in breadcrumbs
@ 2023-07-10 11:36 M. Pger
From: M. Pger @ 2023-07-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

Including "%b" in the org agenda prefix formats (org-agenda-prefix-format​) allows to display entries' outline paths, which is super useful to get project-oriented agenda views/todo-list.

Consider a project 'Foobar Report'. In the agenda view/todo-list, it would look like the following:
```
PROJECT Foobar Report
Foobar Report->TODO Task1
Foobar Report->Task1->TODO Subtask1.1
Foobar Report->Task1->TODO Subtask1.2
Foobar Report->TODO Task2
Foobar Report->Task2-> TODO Subtask2.1
Foobar Report->Task2-> TODO Subtask2.2
```

In such a setting, having 'Foobar Report' at the beginning of each line is not really useful and can impair readability. To tell Org to only print breadcrumbs starting at e.g. level 2 (i.e. skipping the 'Foobar Report' part of the breadcrumbs), I followed the first part of https://list.orgmode.org/CAGEgU=hGnXj7TSGV6pvdSeWFWP_iVwe8WRu+uh8Hjh_7NNRKLw@mail.gmail.com/ and modified the following part of org-agenda-format-item​:
```
(when org-prefix-has-breadcrumbs
(setq breadcrumbs
(org-with-point-at (org-get-at-bol 'org-marker)
(let ((s (org-format-outline-path (org-get-outline-path)
(1- (frame-width))
nil org-agenda-breadcrumbs-separator)))
(if (eq "" s) "" (concat s org-agenda-breadcrumbs-separator))))))
```
by replacing (org-get-outline-path) with
​```
(nthcdr (1- org-agenda-breadcrumbs-start-level)
(org-get-outline-path))

​```
while setting a custom variable org-agenda-breadcrumbs-start-level​ to 2. It works well.

Would the Org devs/active contributors be willing to implement such modification (maybe a cleaner version, with a better custom variable name?) in the next release of Org?

Best,

MP

PS: Note that I tried to implement the same using advice-add​, but miserably failed and decided to go for a complete redefinition of org-agenda-format-item (more lines, but less pain).

​

* Re: Feature request: adjust ~org-agenda-format-item~ to let the user choose the first level included in breadcrumbs
@ 2023-07-11  9:30 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-07-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Pger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"M. Pger" <mpger@protonmail.com> writes:

> Feature request: adjust ~org-agenda-format-item~ to let the user choose the first level included in breadcrumbs

+1

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: adjust ~org-agenda-format-item~ to let the user choose the first level included in breadcrumbs
@ 2023-07-11 19:42   ` M. Pger
From: M. Pger @ 2023-07-11 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Sorry for the possibly silly question, but by '+1', can I understand that you will implement this feature because you think it is worth it?

If this is case, thank you very much; if not, thank you anyway for your work with Org-mode!

Note that I was suggesting setting an upper bound, but being able to truncate breadcrumbs from both sides would be even nicer^^

Best,

MP

@ 2023-07-11 20:14     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-07-11 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Pger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"M. Pger" <mpger@protonmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for the possibly silly question, but by '+1', can I understand that you will implement this feature because you think it is worth it?

No, it just means that I think that this feature makes sense to be
implemented. Basically, upvote.

Whether I am going to implement it myself depends on other users.

I usually do not put agenda features high in my todo list because
org-agenda.el is a pain to work with due to obsolete code. But, I will
re-consider if other people also say that they want this feature.

[ For context, I currently have 500 feature requests and ideas recorded in
my notes. And there are also bugs and general maintenance tasks... I have
to prioritize. ]

Or maybe someone motivated enough can try to implement it and submit a
patch (see https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html). I will then
provide assistance. (Helping new and returning contributors is certainly
high in my todo list ;])

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Feature request: adjust ~org-agenda-format-item~ to let the user choose the first level included in breadcrumbs
@ 2023-07-11 20:21       ` M. Pger
From: M. Pger @ 2023-07-11 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I understand better, thanks. Would be a good opportunity for me to (try to) contribute; this weekend I will check carefully the link you've sent. I'll keep you posted, your assistance would be more than welcome :)

Best,

MP

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

@ 2023-08-11  9:22         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-11  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Pger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"M. Pger" <mpger@protonmail.com> writes:

> I understand better, thanks. Would be a good opportunity for me to (try to) contribute; this weekend I will check carefully the link you've sent. I'll keep you posted, your assistance would be more than welcome :)

It has been a month since the last message in this thread.
If you encountered any difficulties and need help understanding the
code, please let us know.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,