emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Windows binaries with org-mode preinstalled?
@ 2007-05-12  5:28 Joshua Gilliland
From: Joshua Gilliland @ 2007-05-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone.  I have within the past month and a half begun using
org-mode for my GTD needs, learning Emacs at the same time.  First off, I
have to say that I love org-mode, and want to thank Carsten and everyone who
contributes to it--it really is an amazing program.  To that end, being new
to Emacs, I absolutely love Emacs as well, and have found myself continually
looking for new ways to incorporate it into my workflow.

Now for my problem.  I use a Mac at home, but I just recently switched jobs
and have a Windows computer at work, with no administrator access.  This
makes it difficult for me to install anything, as I have to track down the
(overworked) IT guy and get him to do it for me.  I already had him install
XEmacs for me, only to find out that it doesn't come with org-mode
preinstalled.  I tried installing it myself, but it seems that I need GNU
make in order to do so, which would be something else to install, and (I
assume) I couldn't use it anyway without administrator-level access.

My question is, is there a pre-compiled Windows binary for Emacs (of the
installation wizard flavor) that I could download and get the IT to install
for me with a minimum of hassle on his part?  I looked at Emacs W32, but as
far as I can tell it's Emacs 21, and doesn't have org-mode included.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help, everyone.

Josh

* Re: Windows binaries with org-mode preinstalled?
@ 2007-05-12  6:50 ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-05-12  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Gilliland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 5/11/07, Joshua Gilliland <joshuadgilliland@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is, is there a pre-compiled Windows binary for Emacs (of the
> installation wizard flavor) that I could download and get the IT to install
> for me with a minimum of hassle on his part?  I looked at Emacs W32, but as
> far as I can tell it's Emacs 21, and doesn't have org-mode included.

Josh,

http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl

Get the patched version. It's Emacs 22, and it is the best emacs
distribution you'll find on any platform in my opinion.

If you don't mind downloading the org zip file and installing it yourself I
think you'll be very happy with EmacsW32. One advantage of installing
org-mode yourself is that you can keep it up to date and receive the new
features sooner. Btw, you won't need administrator access to install org
mode, just EmacsW32 I'm guessing. You also should be able to just run M-x
byte-compile-file on the org-mode files to compile them so you won't have to
install make.

Cheers,
Scott

* Re: Windows binaries with org-mode preinstalled?
@ 2007-05-12  7:37 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2007-05-12  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 01:28:49PM +0800, Joshua Gilliland wrote:
> but I just recently switched jobs
> and have a Windows computer at work, with no administrator access.

the same for me :-(

but you can install some programs also without admin privileges,
provided you install them in a directory you can read/write
"Documents" is the best place.
I have
c:/Documents and Settings/me/Documents/firefox/
                                      /emacs/

;-)

> My question is, is there a pre-compiled Windows binary for Emacs

the version of emacs(snapshot) for windows can be downloaded from:

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

Giovanni
--
 __    Giovanni Ridolfi, PhD, Chemist
/ __   Peace is to the earth what yeast is to the dough.

* Re: Windows binaries with org-mode preinstalled?
@ 2007-05-12  7:53   ` Joshua Gilliland
From: Joshua Gilliland @ 2007-05-12  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks a lot, Scott!  Org-mode is now working for me.  It's been really hard
to live without it here at work.

Best,
Josh

@ 2007-05-12 14:36 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-05-12 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Gilliland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Actually, I've never installed org-mode with make.  Just unpack the
archive in some tempt directory and copy the .el files someplace where
you want to store emacs packages.  (I have a .emacs_packages
directory.)  If you keep xemacs, there is a second directory of xemacs
only files you'll need.  Then add something like the following to
you're .emacs.

Edd

    ;; set up my own package directory
    (setq load-path
          (append (list nil "~/.emacs_packages") ; ... or where ever you put it
                  load-path))

    ;; setup Org mode
    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
    (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
    (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
    (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; org-mode buffers only
    (require 'org-install)