emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26  4:52 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-26  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi everyone,

I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled.
The list Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX
packages to be available:

* t1enc
* textcomp
* marvosym
* wasysym
* MnSymbol

Before I introduce new dependencies on these packages, I would like
to ask that many of you check if these packages are available
in the LaTeX distribution you are using.  Please check,
and let me know which package you do not have.

Thanks!

- Carsten

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26  7:02 ` David Maus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Maus @ 2010-03-26  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
>Hi everyone,

>I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
>export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled.
>The list Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX
>packages to be available:

>* t1enc
>* textcomp
>* marvosym
>* wasysym
>* MnSymbol

>Before I introduce new dependencies on these packages, I would like
>to ask that many of you check if these packages are available
>in the LaTeX distribution you are using.  Please check,
>and let me know which package you do not have.

On Debian GNU/Linux "Testing" these packages are available:

,----
| t1enc texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/t1enc.sty
| textcomp texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/textcomp.sty
| marvosym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
| wasysym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty
| MnSymbol texlive-fonts-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty
`----

HTH
  -- David

--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26  8:24 ` Alexander Poslavsky
From: Alexander Poslavsky @ 2010-03-26  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 26, 2010, at 5:52 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
> export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled.
> The list Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX
> packages to be available:
>
> * t1enc
> * textcomp
> * marvosym
> * wasysym
> * MnSymbol
>
> Before I introduce new dependencies on these packages, I would like
> to ask that many of you check if these packages are available
> in the LaTeX distribution you are using.  Please check,
> and let me know which package you do not have.

On OS X texlive 2009:

s1lver:~ plovs$ find /usr/local/texlive/2009/ | grep sty$ | grep "t1enc\|textcomp\|marvosym\|wasysym\|MnSymbol"

/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/doc/latex/gatech-thesis/julesverne/bellswhistles/textcompfix.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/doc/latex/gatech-thesis/julesverne/bellswhistles/textcompsym.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/t1enc.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/textcomp.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/tex/latex/mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2009//texmf-dist/tex/latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty

gr,
alex

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26  9:11   ` Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2010-03-26  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi,

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
>>export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled.
>>The list Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX
>>packages to be available:
>
>>* t1enc
>>* textcomp
>>* marvosym
>>* wasysym
>>* MnSymbol

> On Debian GNU/Linux "Testing" these packages are available:
>
> ,----
> | t1enc texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/t1enc.sty
> | textcomp texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/textcomp.sty
> | marvosym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
> | wasysym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty
> | MnSymbol texlive-fonts-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty
> `----

A small note on this: anything that's in tex/latex/base can be trusted
to be included in any LaTeX installation (newer than ~10 years, probably
;-) ). Regarding marvosym, wasysym, mnsymbol: I think they are quite
popular, but I would recommend to ship simple-text-alternatives via
\providecommand for all symbols used from these packages.

Yours
Karsten

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26  9:14     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Heymann; +Cc: Org Mode

On Mar 26, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Karsten Heymann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
>>> export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled.
>>> The list Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX
>>> packages to be available:
>>
>>> * t1enc
>>> * textcomp
>>> * marvosym
>>> * wasysym
>>> * MnSymbol
>
>> On Debian GNU/Linux "Testing" these packages are available:
>>
>> ,----
>> | t1enc texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/
>> t1enc.sty
>> | textcomp texlive-latex-base: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/
>> base/textcomp.sty
>> | marvosym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/
>> latex/marvosym/marvosym.sty
>> | wasysym texlive-fonts-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/
>> latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty
>> | MnSymbol texlive-fonts-extra: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/
>> mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty
>> `----
>
> A small note on this: anything that's in tex/latex/base can be trusted
> to be included in any LaTeX installation (newer than ~10 years,
> probably
> ;-) ). Regarding marvosym, wasysym, mnsymbol: I think they are quite
> popular, but I would recommend to ship simple-text-alternatives via
> \providecommand for all symbols used from these packages.

Hi Karsten,

seems like you know what you are talking about.  So maybe you can help
me with this.

I would like to

1. Require these packages with \usepackage or similar, but not
    have an error thrown when they are not available

2. Provide, as you say, alternative versions with providecommand.
    How would I do this?  What do you mean by simple-text-alternatives?

@ 2010-03-26  9:40 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2010-03-26  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Carsten,

I tested several systems:

* teTeX 3.0 (FreeBSD 7.0, 7.2, and 7.3, openSuSE 10.2)
   misses MnSymbol
* texlive 2007 (openSuSE 10.3 and 11.1):
   misses MnSymbol
* texlive 2008 (openSuSE 11.2):
   doesn't work when using both wasysym and MnSymbol together
   (duplicate symbols \iint and \iiint)
* texlive 2009 (Windows 7):
   doesn't work when using both wasysym and MnSymbol together
   (duplicate symbols \iint and \iiint)

My "minimal" latex test file is:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{MnSymbol}
\begin{document}
test
\end{document}

Best regards
Robert

@ 2010-03-26  9:51       ` Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2010-03-26  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

Carsten,

> seems like you know what you are talking about.

A little bit, although sadly I had few chances to actually use LaTeX
since I left the University. So I enjoy this even more :-)

> So maybe you can help me with this.
>
> I would like to
>
> 1. Require these packages with \usepackage or similar, but not
>    have an error thrown when they are not available
>
> 2. Provide, as you say, alternative versions with providecommand.
>    How would I do this?  What do you mean by simple-text-alternatives?

I put the answer to both questions into a minimal example:

\documentclass{minimal} % should work with any document class
\IfFileExists{mnsymbol.sty}{%
  \usepackage{mnsymbol}
}{%
  \PackageWarning{orgmode}{mnsymbol.sty not found, using fall-back-replacements}
}
\providecommand*{\mnstar}{*} % provide alternative in case command not available

\begin{document}
\mnstar
\end{document}

Some notes:

 - IfFileExists finds the sty file anywhere in the tex load
   path (you can verify this with "kpsewhich FILE" on the commandline).
   These commands are explained in the LaTeX Class writing guide:
   texdoc clsguide
 - \providecommand* is the same as \providecommand, but saves a tiny bit
   of memory as no arguments are allowed that contain multiple
   paragraphs (not making the *-variant the default for \providecommand
   and \newcommand is in my opinion clearly a design flaw of LaTeX).

Hope to help,

Karsten

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26 11:54   ` Mikael Fornius
From: Mikael Fornius @ 2010-03-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

* texlive 2009 (Arch-linux) misses MnSymbol

--
Mikael Fornius

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26 14:00     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-03-26 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Fornius; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Mikael Fornius <mfo@abc.se> writes:

> * texlive 2009 (Arch-linux) misses MnSymbol

MnSymbol is part of texlive-fontsextra on archlinux.

% locate MnSymbol.sty | xargs pacman -Qo
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty is owned by texlive-fontsextra 2009.16617-1

The rest of the packages are owned by texlive-core.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26 14:27       ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-03-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Mikael Fornius, Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

I install almost every latex package from the texlive distribution in the
official repositories from Ubuntu (9.10) including textlive-fonts-extra and
I don't have the MnSymbol package.

 - Darlan

At Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:00:47 -0400,
Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Mikael Fornius <mfo@abc.se> writes:
>
> > * texlive 2009 (Arch-linux) misses MnSymbol
>
> MnSymbol is part of texlive-fontsextra on archlinux.
>
> % locate MnSymbol.sty | xargs pacman -Qo
> /usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mnsymbol/MnSymbol.sty is owned by texlive-fontsextra 2009.16617-1
>
> The rest of the packages are owned by texlive-core.
>
> Best,
> Matt

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-03-26 18:42 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-03-26 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am working on better entity (special symbol) support for
> export, based on a list Ulf Stegemann has compiled. The list
> Ulf has sent me requires the following LaTeX packages to be
> available:
>
> * t1enc * textcomp * marvosym * wasysym * MnSymbol
>
> Before I introduce new dependencies on these packages, I would
> like to ask that many of you check if these packages are
> available in the LaTeX distribution you are using. Please
> check, and let me know which package you do not have.

I ran Alexander find command and and Robert's test latex document on
Cygwin with Texlive 2008. Find does report MnSybol but the latex
document compilation does not find it. All other packages are ok.

Regards
--
Manish

* Re: LaTeX package dependencies
@ 2010-03-26 19:22   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-03-26 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

On Zenwalk Linux 6.2 with tetex 3.0 build 6 installed from the
distributions' repository, I have all packages /except/ MnSymbol.

John

@ 2010-03-27  2:27   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-03-27  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Org Mode, Carsten Dominik