emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to create a priority sorted list of tasks agenda ?
@ 2023-01-09  4:35 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-01-09  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This seems like a typical request, but I don't readily see in the
manual.  I was thinking org-sort on an agenda, but it doesn't seem to do
that.  Any hints?
--
David Masterson

* Re: How to create a priority sorted list of tasks agenda ?
@ 2023-01-09  5:02 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-01-09  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

(info "(org) Presentation and Sorting")

emacs docs and info are both rather good.  i used to dislike info for
years and catted it like a manpage but only a few commmand like u ret
l r are needed.

note tht the word priority is used in 2 senses. t hre is a kind of
defult agend sorting that has its own calcualted priority and then
ther eare the priority cookies.  i don't use the calculated priority
--- there is custom sorting avail via a var.  maybe that is what you
are asking for ad if so you'd have to write a bit of lisp, which i
can't help you with but others might be able to.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: How to create a priority sorted list of tasks agenda ?
@ 2023-01-09  5:16   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-01-09  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

ok i was completely wrong depending on which meaning of priority you
want.  in the docstring in my old version of org,
org-agenda-sorting-strategy is ambiguous on which one it means, so you
might or might not need user-defined.

@ 2023-01-09  5:18     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-01-09  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

pardon my scattershot emails.  info and default value are suggesting
that if you want the calculated priority, you can use the sorting
stratgegy, but that is default, within category-keep, so you might be
asking for the priority cookies.

@ 2023-01-09  5:25   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-01-09  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> (info "(org) Presentation and Sorting")

Yeah, my bad -- that should've been obvious.  :-\

> emacs docs and info are both rather good.  i used to dislike info for
> years and catted it like a manpage but only a few commmand like u ret
> l r are needed.

Whoa.  Interesting writing style.

Info is pretty good, but lacks images to provide visual backing to the
description.  Also, some package writers write their docs for HTML (with
images) and it doesn't quite come out write in Info.

> note tht the word priority is used in 2 senses. t hre is a kind of
> defult agend sorting that has its own calcualted priority and then
> ther eare the priority cookies.  i don't use the calculated priority
> --- there is custom sorting avail via a var.  maybe that is what you
> are asking for ad if so you'd have to write a bit of lisp, which i
> can't help you with but others might be able to.

Hmm.  I'll have to look at calculated priority.

Thanks

--

@ 2023-01-09  5:44     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-01-09  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> ok i was completely wrong depending on which meaning of priority you
> want.  in the docstring in my old version of org,
> org-agenda-sorting-strategy is ambiguous on which one it means, so you
> might or might not need user-defined.

Priority is the "[#A]" type cookie in the header of a task.  A
user-defined property that is a meaning of "priority" is not recognized
by standard Org as a PRIORITY.  You could write some Elisp to
incorporate it into Org agendas with user-defined sorting functions.

--
David Masterson