emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-beamer bug
@ 2010-03-25 15:55 Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2010-03-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

From reading the org-beamer documentation, I get the impression that the
following two should headings should be equivalent:

* Example 1                                                  :B_block:

* Example 2
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:

However, only the second example is actually exported with a block
environment.  This also happens with other environments.  The note
environment is the only one I tested that works by using a tag.

I'm using Org-mode version 6.34trans (release_6.34c.251.gd1289).

Regards,
Jason

* Re: org-beamer bug
@ 2010-03-25 17:18 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-03-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Dunsmore; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jason,

Jason Dunsmore <jason.public@gmail.com> writes:

> From reading the org-beamer documentation, I get the impression that the
> following two should headings should be equivalent:
>

> * Example 1                                                  :B_block:
>
> * Example 2
> :PROPERTIES:
> :BEAMER_env: block
> :END:
>

> However, only the second example is actually exported with a block
> environment.  This also happens with other environments.  The note
> environment is the only one I tested that works by using a tag.

According to the manual, the environment tags have no effect on the
export. They are simply visual aids. If org-beamer-mode is activated,
the tags are added automatically whenever you set the :BEAMER_env:
property.

,----
| `BEAMER_env'
|      The environment that should be used to format this entry.  Valid
|      environments are defined in the constant
|      `org-beamer-environments-default', and you can define more in
|      `org-beamer-environments-extra'.  If this property is set, the
|      entry will also get a `:B_environment:' tag to make this visible.
|      This tag has no semantic meaning, it is only a visual aid.
`----

Best,
Matt

* Re: org-beamer bug
@ 2010-03-25 20:00   ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2010-03-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Matt Lundin

Thanks for the explanation.

The documentation is confusing.

> If this property is set, the entry will also get a `:B_environment:'
> tag to make this visible.  This tag has no semantic meaning, it is
> only a visual aid.

I thought there was actually a `:B_environment:' tag.  I also didn't
know that this was referring to auto-selecting the tag when using the
PROPERTIES selection interface (C-c C-c inside a PROPERTIES drawer).

For that part of the documentation, I would suggest:

``If this property is set using C-c C-c inside the properties drawer,
  the entry will also get an environment tag (eg. :B_block:) to make
  this visible. This tag has no semantic meaning, it is only a visual
  aid.''

The org-beamer-set-environment-tag docstring states:

``Set an environment tag, to determine the beamer environment to be used.
  This makes use of the fast tag selection interface.''

But it doesn't determine the beamer environment to be used.  I would
suggest instead:

``Set a beamer environment tag using the fast tag selection interface.
  This is only a visual aid to indicate the beamer environment
  configured in the :BEAMER_env: property.''

What is the point of having an interface to select the beamer
environment tags (C-c C-b) if they are auto-generated?

Also, the example from
http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-class-export.html shows a :B_block: tag
in use without the :BEAMER_env: property.

     *** Request                                                   :B_block:
         Please test this stuff!

This should be:

     *** Request                                                   :B_block:
         :PROPERTIES:
         :BEAMER_env: block
         :END:
         Please test this stuff!

Did org-beamer previously support configuring beamer environments via
tags?  If so, why was it removed?  It seems like a nice feature.

Regards,
Jason

* Re: Re: org-beamer bug
@ 2010-03-26  7:30     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-26  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Dunsmore; +Cc: Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Mar 25, 2010, at 9:00 PM, Jason Dunsmore wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> The documentation is confusing.
>
>> If this property is set, the entry will also get a `:B_environment:'
>> tag to make this visible.  This tag has no semantic meaning, it is
>> only a visual aid.
>
> I thought there was actually a `:B_environment:' tag.  I also didn't
> know that this was referring to auto-selecting the tag when using the
> PROPERTIES selection interface (C-c C-c inside a PROPERTIES drawer).
>
> For that part of the documentation, I would suggest:
>
> ``If this property is set using C-c C-c inside the properties drawer,
>  the entry will also get an environment tag (eg. :B_block:) to make
>  this visible. This tag has no semantic meaning, it is only a visual
>  aid.''
>
> The org-beamer-set-environment-tag docstring states:
>
> ``Set an environment tag, to determine the beamer environment to be
> used.
>  This makes use of the fast tag selection interface.''
>
> But it doesn't determine the beamer environment to be used.  I would
> suggest instead:
>
> ``Set a beamer environment tag using the fast tag selection interface.
>  This is only a visual aid to indicate the beamer environment
>  configured in the :BEAMER_env: property.''
>
> What is the point of having an interface to select the beamer
> environment tags (C-c C-b) if they are auto-generated?

Hi Jason,  the documentation is indeed not very clear on this, also
because the background is confusing:

1. Only the property counts, the tag is visual and has no semantic
meaning
2. I am using a property because all the other beamer stuff is also
properties
3. To make selecting the correct environment very convenient and fast,
    I am using a special version of the tag interface which will
change both
    the tag and the property value.

I'll see if I can make the documentation clearer here. In fact, even
the function
name org-beamer-set-environment-tag is bad, and I have just changed it
to org-beamer-select-environment'.

While this does improve the documentation, I still think that more
extensive documentation, examples and tutorial for the beamer support
would be very good to have on Worg, and I have not lost hope that
someone will pick up this task.

> Also, the example from
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-class-export.html shows a :B_block:
> tag
> in use without the :BEAMER_env: property.

>     ***
> Request                                                   :B_block:
>         Please test this stuff!
>
> This should be:

>     ***
> Request                                                   :B_block:
>         :PROPERTIES:
>         :BEAMER_env: block
>         :END:
>         Please test this stuff!

Indeed, thanks for catching this documentation bug.

> Did org-beamer previously support configuring beamer environments via
> tags?

Yes, for a short time

>  If so, why was it removed?  It seems like a nice feature.

Because we added much more functionality, all of which was using
properties.

Regards

- Carsten