emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to get a clock table without the file level?
@ 2008-09-05 14:47 Peter Frings
From: Peter Frings @ 2008-09-05 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Sorry for the repost (original of 8/8), but I have been looking for an
answer in the manual, as well as in the sources and I really don't
dare to touch anything down there...

Is it possible to build a clocktable with the agenda as scope, but
summing up all times per headline level, and not per file. Some files
have the same level 1 entries, and these should be summed up.

E.g.:

A.org:
* REQD
** task 1
** task 2

B.org:
* Todo
** task 1

C.org:
* REQD
* task 3

The current clocktable create blocks per file:

#+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 4  :scope agenda :block thisweek :step
week

Weekly report starting on: <2008-08-04 Mon>
| File  | L | Headline            | Time   |      |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
|       |   | *Total time*        | *0:40* |      |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
| A.org |   | *File time*         | *0:10* |      |
| A.org | 1 | REQD                | 0:10   |      |
| A.org | 2 | task 1              |        | 0:05 |
| A.org | 2 | task 2              |        | 0:05 |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
| B.org |   | *File time*         | *0:15* |      |
| B.org | 1 | Todo                | 0:15   |      |
| B.org | 2 | task 1     |        | 0:15 |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
| C.org |   | *File time*         | *0:15* |      |
| C.org | 1 | REQD                | 0:15   |      |
| C.org | 2 | task 3              |        | 0:15 |
#+END:

It would be very convenient if I could group it on the first level,
across the files:
#+BEGIN: clocktable :maxlevel 4  :scope agenda :block thisweek :step
week

Weekly report starting on: <2008-08-04 Mon>

| File  | L | Headline            | Time   |      |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
|       |   | *Total time*        | *0:40* |      |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
| A.org | 1 | REQD                | 0:25   |      |
| A.org | 2 | task 1              |        | 0:05 |
| A.org | 2 | task 2              |        | 0:05 |
| C.org | 2 | task 3              |        | 0:15 |
|-------+---+---------------------+--------+------|
| B.org | 1 | Todo                | 0:15   |      |
| B.org | 2 | task 1              |        | 0:15 |
#+END

Another possible method is to use categories at the file header, and
to group files with the same category. That way, you can control which
files to group and which ones not.

Maybe I have overlooked some customization somewhere, but I couldn't
find it in the manual. And as I said before, I'm loosing my way in the
source files...

Any pointers? Or suggestions to tackle this in another way?

Cheers,
Peter.

PS: this is the first time in my life I'm getting organized... thanks
to org-mode!

* Re: How to get a clock table without the file level?
@ 2008-09-07  6:30 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-07  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Frings; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Peter,

this is indeed neither currently possible, nor easily implemented.

One of he basic concepts of Org-mode is that you keep things together
that belong together.  Why do you have related things in two separate
files?  Would it not be easier and better to reorganize this basic
structure?

- Carsten

@ 2008-09-08  8:21   ` Peter Frings
From: Peter Frings @ 2008-09-08  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

On 07 Sep 2008, at 08:30, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Peter Frings wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to build a clocktable with the agenda as scope, but
>> summing up all times per headline level, and not per file. Some
>> files have the same level 1 entries, and these should be summed up.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> this is indeed neither currently possible, nor easily implemented.
>
> One of he basic concepts of Org-mode is that you keep things
> together that belong together.  Why do you have related things in
> two separate files?  Would it not be easier and better to reorganize
> this basic structure?

Yes, I've been thinking about that as well. Right now, it's only 1 or
two rows I need to sum up manually, and I can still handle that... so
this is absolutely not a serious issue.

The reason I have these tasks spread across several agenda files is
the following. I have one larger file in which I keep the planning and
logging for a large project. In another file I keep a log of the more
`interrupt-driven' but often recurring tasks (e.g. maintaining a wiki,
fixing bugs, etc.).

However, we need to fill in time sheets in a SAP web application --
note that I use the term 'application' very loosely here!--, and many
of the activities in both files are to be recorded under the same
category. Unfortunately, I'm never sure which SAP category to use for
some taks, so I needed a way to remember them. Therefore, I made these
categories as level-1 topics, and organized my tasks to my liking as
sub-topics. So I can now log time for the level-2 topic 'filling in
time sheets', and it will show up under the proper SAP category in the
clock table.

Now, all activity in the planning file needs to be reported as 'REQD
G50101'; in the other file there's also a whole set of tasks that fall
under that same category. Therefore, I have 'REQD G50101' as a level-1
topic in both files, and structure the rest below it.

I know it is a kludge, but it works relatively well for me.

I know I can simply put the project planning in the same file as the
rest, but both files are relatively large, and it makes navigation a
bit harder than I want. Also, keeping these things in two files sounds
very logical to me :-)

As I said, it's not a big deal; I'm very happy with org-mode and I
intent to keep it that way!

Thanks,
Peter.