emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* S-Tab strange behavour
@ 2010-02-02 19:28 Ivan Vanyushkin
From: Ivan Vanyushkin @ 2010-02-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

On initial file opening, S-<TAB> cycles through
1) OVERVIEW -> 2) CONTENTS -> 3) SHOW ALL
not depending on current state of document.

So, if (as default) document is in OVERVIEW state, first press
_does nothing_ (switch to OVERVIEW again). Expected: CONTENTS.

If document initially "#+STARTUP: content", then first press switches it
back to OVERVIEW. Expected: SHOW ALL.

So, S-Tab (and maybe Tab) doesn't use context state when start cycling.

Is it correct and why?

org-version 6.21 and 6.34c
Emacs 23.1.1

Thank you for your answer!

--
Ivan Vanyushkin - Vanav.
http://vanav.com.ua

* Re: S-Tab strange behavour
@ 2010-02-02 19:40 ` Ryan Thompson
From: Ryan Thompson @ 2010-02-02 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Vanyushkin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't think it is possible in general to know the startup state of a
file. Files with a #+STARTUP line may be an execption.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Ivan Vanyushkin <vanav@vanav.com.ua> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On initial file opening, S-<TAB> cycles through
> 1) OVERVIEW -> 2) CONTENTS -> 3) SHOW ALL
> not depending on current state of document.
>
> So, if (as default) document is in OVERVIEW state, first press
> _does nothing_ (switch to OVERVIEW again). Expected: CONTENTS.
>
> If document initially "#+STARTUP: content", then first press switches it
> back to OVERVIEW. Expected: SHOW ALL.
>
> So, S-Tab (and maybe Tab) doesn't use context state when start cycling.
>
> Is it correct and why?
>
> org-version 6.21 and 6.34c
> Emacs 23.1.1
>
> Thank you for your answer!
>

> --
> Ivan Vanyushkin - Vanav.
> http://vanav.com.ua
> mailto:Vanav@vanav.com.ua
> Jabber/GTalk: Vanav@vanav.com.ua
> ICQ: 190644448
> Yahoo: Vanav_I
> MSN: Vanav@vanav.com.ua

* Re: S-Tab strange behavour
@ 2010-02-02 20:38   ` Ivan Vanyushkin
From: Ivan Vanyushkin @ 2010-02-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Thompson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

There is org-startup-folded that controls startup state, so org-mode
should know it.

Also S-Tab forgets state even in the middle of document. Key presses to
reproduce:

1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
2) S-Tab - CONTENTS
3) C-G (or any other)
4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (expected: SHOW ALL)

or

1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
3) C-G (or any other)
4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (nothing changed! expected: CONTENTS)

Is it by design? Why?

On 02.02.2010 21:40, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> I don't think it is possible in general to know the startup state of a
> file. Files with a #+STARTUP line may be an execption.
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Ivan Vanyushkin<vanav@vanav.com.ua>  wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On initial file opening, S-<TAB>  cycles through
>> 1) OVERVIEW ->  2) CONTENTS ->  3) SHOW ALL
>> not depending on current state of document.
>>
>> So, if (as default) document is in OVERVIEW state, first press
>> _does nothing_ (switch to OVERVIEW again). Expected: CONTENTS.
>>
>> If document initially "#+STARTUP: content", then first press switches it
>> back to OVERVIEW. Expected: SHOW ALL.
>>
>> So, S-Tab (and maybe Tab) doesn't use context state when start cycling.
>>
>> Is it correct and why?
>>
>> org-version 6.21 and 6.34c
>> Emacs 23.1.1
>>
>> Thank you for your answer!
>>

>> --
>> Ivan Vanyushkin - Vanav.

* Re: S-Tab strange behavour
@ 2010-02-02 21:25     ` Ryan Thompson
From: Ryan Thompson @ 2010-02-02 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Vanyushkin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

S-Tab probably checks the value of last-command to see if the previous
command was also a S-Tab. If the previous command was anything else,
then Org Mode has no idea whether the buffer or its visibility has
changed since the last-executed S-Tab, since it cannot know which
other commands will affect buffer visibility and which will not. So,
if the previous command is not S-Tab, then the next S-Tab will restart
the cycle from the beginning. Similarly, when you first open a buffer,
the value of last-command is probably 'find-file or something.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Ivan Vanyushkin <vanav@vanav.com.ua> wrote:
> There is org-startup-folded that controls startup state, so org-mode should
> know it.
>
> Also S-Tab forgets state even in the middle of document. Key presses to
> reproduce:
>
> 1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
> 2) S-Tab - CONTENTS
> 3) C-G (or any other)
> 4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (expected: SHOW ALL)
>
> or
>
> 1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
> 3) C-G (or any other)
> 4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (nothing changed! expected: CONTENTS)
>
> Is it by design? Why?
>

> On 02.02.2010 21:40, Ryan Thompson wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it is possible in general to know the startup state of a
>> file. Files with a #+STARTUP line may be an execption.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Ivan Vanyushkin<vanav@vanav.com.ua>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> On initial file opening, S-<TAB>  cycles through
>>> 1) OVERVIEW ->  2) CONTENTS ->  3) SHOW ALL
>>> not depending on current state of document.
>>>
>>> So, if (as default) document is in OVERVIEW state, first press
>>> _does nothing_ (switch to OVERVIEW again). Expected: CONTENTS.
>>>
>>> If document initially "#+STARTUP: content", then first press switches it
>>> back to OVERVIEW. Expected: SHOW ALL.
>>>
>>> So, S-Tab (and maybe Tab) doesn't use context state when start cycling.
>>>
>>> Is it correct and why?
>>>
>>> org-version 6.21 and 6.34c
>>> Emacs 23.1.1
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer!
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ivan Vanyushkin - Vanav.

* Re: S-Tab strange behavour
@ 2010-02-03 10:13       ` Ivan Vanyushkin
From: Ivan Vanyushkin @ 2010-02-03 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 02.02.2010 23:25, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> If the previous command was anything else,
> then Org Mode has no idea whether the buffer or its visibility has
> changed since the last-executed S-Tab, since it cannot know which
> other commands will affect buffer visibility and which will not.

I think, only Org changes visibility, so it can track current state.

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Ivan Vanyushkin<vanav@vanav.com.ua>  wrote:
>> There is org-startup-folded that controls startup state, so org-mode should
>> know it.
>>
>> Also S-Tab forgets state even in the middle of document. Key presses to
>> reproduce:
>>
>> 1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
>> 2) S-Tab - CONTENTS
>> 3) C-G (or any other)
>> 4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (expected: SHOW ALL)
>>
>> or
>>
>> 1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
>> 3) C-G (or any other)
>> 4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (nothing changed! expected: CONTENTS)
>>
>> Is it by design? Why?
>>

>> On 02.02.2010 21:40, Ryan Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think it is possible in general to know the startup state of a
>>> file. Files with a #+STARTUP line may be an execption.

* Re: Re: S-Tab strange behavour
@ 2010-02-03 10:30         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-03 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Vanyushkin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 3, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Ivan Vanyushkin wrote:

> On 02.02.2010 23:25, Ryan Thompson wrote:
>> If the previous command was anything else,
>> then Org Mode has no idea whether the buffer or its visibility has
>> changed since the last-executed S-Tab, since it cannot know which
>> other commands will affect buffer visibility and which will not.
>
> I think, only Org changes visibility, so it can track current state.

No, there are other commands outside Org that are changing
visibility.  Also, Org creates "strange" visibillity states with
sparse trees etc.  Furthermore, I in fact like that it is agnostic of
the current visibility.  Then I can create a state by quickly pressing
TAB or S-TAB 1, 2, or three times - without even looking.

- Carsten

>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Ivan
>> Vanyushkin<vanav@vanav.com.ua>  wrote:
>>> There is org-startup-folded that controls startup state, so org-
>>> mode should
>>> know it.
>>>
>>> Also S-Tab forgets state even in the middle of document. Key
>>> presses to
>>> reproduce:
>>>
>>> 1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
>>> 2) S-Tab - CONTENTS
>>> 3) C-G (or any other)
>>> 4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (expected: SHOW ALL)
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> 1) S-Tab - OVERVIEW
>>> 3) C-G (or any other)
>>> 4) S-Tab - OVERVIEW (nothing changed! expected: CONTENTS)
>>>
>>> Is it by design? Why?

- Carsten