emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* getting org-goto to work with ido
@ 2008-11-23 21:13 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-23 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the release.

ido.el works very well for org-refile.

  (setf org-refile-use-outline-path nil)
  (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files . (:maxlevel . 5))))

org-goto does not work, but can be made to work.

  (setf org-goto-auto-isearch nil)
  (setf org-goto-interface 'outline-path-completion)

To get it to work, I changed org.el's org-goto to remove the
line that contains "	 (org-refile-use-outline-path t)".

Those who haven't tried ido yet, it's really nice (imo).

--
Professional myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly
causing further suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on

* Re: getting org-goto to work with ido
@ 2008-11-24  9:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Nov 23, 2008, at 10:13 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Thanks for the release.
>
> ido.el works very well for org-refile.
>
>  (setf org-refile-use-outline-path nil)
>  (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files . (:maxlevel . 5))))
>
> org-goto does not work, but can be made to work.
>
>  (setf org-goto-auto-isearch nil)
>  (setf org-goto-interface 'outline-path-completion)
>
> To get it to work, I changed org.el's org-goto to remove the
> line that contains "	 (org-refile-use-outline-path t)".

What I don't like about this setup is that you may have similar
headlines in different places, and no way to see which is which.

If you pull the newest version, you have now an interesting alternative:

Restore the line in org-goto that you removed, and then do

(setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)

Then targets for org-goto will still be identified by their entire
path, in this way removing disambiguates,  but you can then use
single-step completion to match the entire path, using ido if you wish.

By setting the variable, you will get the same interface in org-refile,
if you set org-refile-use-outline-path back to t.

Wow, this is *really* fast.

Maybe we should phase out the old org-goto interface that uses outline
drilling.
Maybe I should start by setting the default for org-goto-interface to
outline-path-completion.
Any thoughts about such a change?

- Carsten

* Re: getting org-goto to work with ido
@ 2008-11-25 20:07   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 02:59, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
>
> Then targets for org-goto will still be identified by their entire
> path, in this way removing disambiguates,  but you can then use
> single-step completion to match the entire path, using ido if you wish.

Kind of like uniquify?

I don't have git, but if this is what I think you mean, then I had the
same idea, except for a different reason.

Let's say you have housing/environment/filters and
food/coffee/filters.  And also 10 more.  You type "fil" and there are
15 candidates.  To select the coffee one, you type c-spc then "cof".
In other words, I wanted to do the headline first then the path.

An improvement would be to put the path *after* the headline (in
reverse order like filters\coffee\food; see uniquify for code and to
make the syntax consistent).  Then c-spc would not be necessary.  You
would type "filcof".  If that is not enough to disambiguate, then
"fo".
No backtracking necessary.

Then the minibuffer can show tersely if desired.  filters\coffee,
filters\environment.  Or just enough to be unique.

If that's what you mean, then we have a winner.

But is it fast in CPU time to gather the headlines this way?
:maxlevel isn't necessary?

> Wow, this is *really* fast.

Yeah.

> Maybe I should start by setting the default for org-goto-interface to
> outline-path-completion.
> Any thoughts about such a change?

Maybe depends on CPU time on large files and what you set the ido
default to.  Of course, ido has limits you can set also.  I presume
emacs and xemacs both have ido.

I would use it.

--

@ 2008-11-25 22:39     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-25 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Nov 25, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 02:59, Carsten Dominik
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
>>
>> Then targets for org-goto will still be identified by their entire
>> path, in this way removing disambiguates,  but you can then use
>> single-step completion to match the entire path, using ido if you
>> wish.
>
> Kind of like uniquify?

Well, not quite.  Uniquify does only prepend the path
if necessary - what I have implemented always has the
complete path.  I agree that a uniquify approach might
be nice as well.

> I don't have git, but if this is what I think you mean, then I had the
> same idea, except for a different reason.
>
> Let's say you have housing/environment/filters and
> food/coffee/filters.  And also 10 more.  You type "fil" and there are
> 15 candidates.  To select the coffee one, you type c-spc then "cof".
> In other words, I wanted to do the headline first then the path.

I just tried (I did not know about C-SPC in ido, great feature),
and this works just fine.

However, my standard way to work is to just type a substring
and then use C-s to cycle through the possibilities.  But I
might make more use of C-SPC, like the idea.

> An improvement would be to put the path *after* the headline (in
> reverse order like filters\coffee\food; see uniquify for code and to
> make the syntax consistent).  Then c-spc would not be necessary.  You
> would type "filcof".  If that is not enough to disambiguate, then
> "fo".
> No backtracking necessary.
>
> Then the minibuffer can show tersely if desired.  filters\coffee,
> filters\environment.  Or just enough to be unique.

It does show the full path right now, which can be long, of course.

> If that's what you mean, then we have a winner.

I do like it a lot, but I think I should make a more
terse list with uniquify.  Maybe there is some emacs/uniquify code I
can reuse....

- Carsten