emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Adding a timestamp after refiling
@ 2010-03-25  2:43 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2010-03-25  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use a task planning methodology From Mark Forster called
"Autofocus" (http://www.markforster.net/autofocus-index/)

Part of the workflow is rewriting a task at the end of the
list of things to do - in orgmode terms - refiling a task.

Would it be possible to add functionality to add a date/time stamp
when a task is refiled?  I have looked at the Tracking
TODO state changes documentation in section 5.3.2 and this style
of logging would be good.

I am not a Lisp programmer but I have heard the term "hook" in regard
to org-mode, so I assume there is some point in the code for each
function to add extra functionality before or after a function is
done? For example, after executing the org-refile command, add a date
time stamp to the heading.

Thanks
Charles

* Re: Adding a timestamp after refiling
@ 2010-03-25  6:51 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-25  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Charles,

On Mar 25, 2010, at 3:43 AM, Charles Cave wrote:

> I use a task planning methodology From Mark Forster called
> "Autofocus" (http://www.markforster.net/autofocus-index/)
>
> Part of the workflow is rewriting a task at the end of the
> list of things to do - in orgmode terms - refiling a task.
>
> Would it be possible to add functionality to add a date/time stamp
> when a task is refiled?  I have looked at the Tracking
> TODO state changes documentation in section 5.3.2 and this style
> of logging would be good.
>
> I am not a Lisp programmer but I have heard the term "hook" in regard
> to org-mode, so I assume there is some point in the code for each
> function to add extra functionality before or after a function is
> done? For example, after executing the org-refile command, add a date
> time stamp to the heading.

This requires small changes in a few places in org.el, so a single
hook would not be enough here.

I have just added a variable `org-log-refile' which does what you
asked for.

Best wishes

- Carsten