emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* show only top level TODO in agenda and ignore sub level TODOS in agenda?
@ 2016-12-22 13:01 Xebar Saram
       [not found] ` <E40FF04D-A043-41B8-B127-71A226B2D25F@icloud.com>
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-12-22 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

i recently had some projects where i would define the overall project as a
TODO and then add some more sub headers with TODOS. the problem is that i
dont want to see all these sub TODOS in the agenda. For example:

* TODO start writing paper
** TODO  collect data
** TODO  add refernces

i would like only the * TODO start writing paper to show in the Agenda view.

obviously i dont want it to happen in any header-sub header in all files
but rather for specific headers.

is there a property drawer/other trick to achieve this?

best

* Re: show only top level TODO in agenda and ignore sub level TODOS in agenda?
       [not found] <2e73f9759d5a4b329e76150651fbeec2@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-12-23 11:47 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-12-23 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 22 Dec 2016 at 13:01, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i recently had some projects where i would define the overall project
> as a TODO and then add some more sub headers with TODOS. the problem
> is that i dont want to see all these sub TODOS in the agenda. For
> example:
>
> * TODO start writing paper
> ** TODO  collect data
> ** TODO  add refernces

[...]

> is there a property drawer/other trick to achieve this?

I don't know but I can suggest using checkboxes for this?
info:(org) Checkboxes
They work well and are appropriate for when you have sub-tasks for a
single task.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.2-104-gf5b7de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2016-12-23 18:52   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-12-23 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset, org mode

Thx stig. while thats an option i would prefer to keep the actual TODOS and
not use lists for this

best

@ 2016-12-24 17:20     ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2016-12-24 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Thx stig. while thats an option i would prefer to keep the actual TODOS and
> not use lists for this

Another option is to use a different keyword, for example "PROJECT", for
things that have sub-TODOs, e.g.

,----
| * PROJECT start writing paper
| ** TODO Collect data
| ** TODO add references
`----

For that to work you may want to put something like this at the top of
the file:

,----
| #+TODO: TODO(t) PROJECT(p) | DONE(d@) CANCELLED(c@)
`----

Finally, a third option is to add a TODO (or TOPLEVEL) *TAG* and do
something like this at the top:

,----
| #+TAGS: { TOPLEVEL(t) SUBTASK(t) }
`----

Then, you can do

,----
| * TODO start writing paper             :TOPLEVEL:
| ** TODO Collect data                    :SUBTASK:
| ** TODO add references                  :SUBTASK:
`----

You can filter for :TOPLEVEL: or :SUBTASK: from the agenda view. Of
course, you don't need both and it may be easier to just add one or the
other.

Hope this helps!

Stig

* Re: show only top level TODO in agenda and ignore sub level TODOS in agenda?
@ 2016-12-27 10:36   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-12-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-12-23, at 12:47, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday, 22 Dec 2016 at 13:01, Xebar Saram wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> i recently had some projects where i would define the overall project
>> as a TODO and then add some more sub headers with TODOS. the problem
>> is that i dont want to see all these sub TODOS in the agenda. For
>> example:
>>
>> * TODO start writing paper
>> ** TODO  collect data
>> ** TODO  add refernces
>
> [...]
>
>> is there a property drawer/other trick to achieve this?
>
> I don't know but I can suggest using checkboxes for this?
> info:(org) Checkboxes
> They work well and are appropriate for when you have sub-tasks for a
> single task.

How about

(setq org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels nil)

?

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: show only top level TODO in agenda and ignore sub level TODOS in agenda?
@ 2016-12-28  7:53     ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-12-28  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: org mode