emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Exporting blocks of text completely verbatim
@ 2017-02-09 14:11 Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2017-02-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello. This discussion
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-02/msg00163.html
points out that Org tables are converted to HTML tables when exporting
through "ox-md". Leaving Markdown-related issues aside, I've stumbled
upon this problem a while back.

It is suggested that wrapping the table within a "#+(BEGIN|END)_EXPORT
md" should leave it as-is in the exported document but that is not the
case. The table gets converted to HTML anyway.

When skimming through the Org manual I found that
"#+(BEGIN|END)_EXPORT back-end" blocks are used to export text *only*
for the specified back-end. This appears in the ASCII back-end
documentation (does it work like this for others back-ends?).

In a general level, is there a way to keep blocks of text completely
unmodified (without indentation also) on export?

* Re: Exporting blocks of text completely verbatim
@ 2017-02-09 14:27 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-02-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Isn't

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
Long block
#+END_EXAMPLE

what you want?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2017-02-09 16:27   ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2017-02-09 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmm nope. Still some modifications are introduced depending on the
back-end. Example blocks are generally indented.

There are cases where those changes makes sense such as in HTML export
but for ASCII and ASCII-based markups truly verbatim blocks would make
sense I believe.

For example, one could edit an Org document and keep some text blocks
completely unchanged so later another processing tool (such as Pandoc)
could deal with them accordingly.

@ 2017-02-09 19:19 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2017-02-09 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vicente Vera; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017, Vicente Vera wrote:

> Hello. This discussion
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-02/msg00163.html
> points out that Org tables are converted to HTML tables when exporting
> through "ox-md". Leaving Markdown-related issues aside, I've stumbled
> upon this problem a while back.
>
> It is suggested that wrapping the table within a "#+(BEGIN|END)_EXPORT
> md" should leave it as-is in the exported document but that is not the
> case. The table gets converted to HTML anyway.

Not in recent versions of org. Here is an example of a table that is
exported as a table without any html-ization:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results raw
   (org-export-string-as
    "
   ,#+begin_export md
   | a |
   | b |
   ,#+end_export"
    'md t)

#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| a |
| b |

Of course, the comma escapes are stripped before `org-export-string-as'
sees the string.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Exporting blocks of text completely verbatim
@ 2017-02-09 23:16   ` Vicente Vera
From: Vicente Vera @ 2017-02-09 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode