emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* In org-mode 9 "Scheduled" and "Deadline" are no longer parsed if they are not in the beginning
@ 2018-06-19 14:37 Igor Katson
From: Igor Katson @ 2018-06-19 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

first of all, thanks for the best productivity tool that I know of!

I've been using org-mode for years, and somewhere between version 8 and 9,
a change happened, which I could not find in the changelogs.

Here's how I often used to format TODO items which are scheduled:

* TODO Item
some-text
some-more-text
   SCHEDULED: <2018-06-19 Tue>

In the newer versions of org, the SCHEDULED string is no longer parsed, and
I don't see it in agenda, unless I reformat it like this:

* TODO Item
    SCHEDULED: <2018-06-19 Tue>
some-text
some-more-text

This broke the habit that I was using for years and also broke my existing
notes as I'm no longer able to see them in agenda. I wonder if this
behavior can be changed to work like before.

Thanks!

* Re: In org-mode 9 "Scheduled" and "Deadline" are no longer parsed if they are not in the beginning
@ 2018-06-19 14:44 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-06-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Katson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Igor Katson <igor.katson@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using org-mode for years, and somewhere between version 8 and 9,
> a change happened, which I could not find in the changelogs.
>
> Here's how I often used to format TODO items which are scheduled:
>
> * TODO Item
> some-text
> some-more-text
>    SCHEDULED: <2018-06-19 Tue>
>
> In the newer versions of org, the SCHEDULED string is no longer parsed, and
> I don't see it in agenda, unless I reformat it like this:
>
> * TODO Item
>     SCHEDULED: <2018-06-19 Tue>
> some-text
> some-more-text
>
> This broke the habit that I was using for years and also broke my existing
> notes as I'm no longer able to see them in agenda. I wonder if this
> behavior can be changed to work like before.

No it cannot. SCHEDULED and DEADLINE must be in the line right below the
heading. M-x org-lint will help you finding problematic lines.

Not this is not really a change: most code in Org expected such lines to
be located right below the heading since day 1. The agenda was a bit
tolerant on that part. This is particularly important to make Org find
information quickly.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: In org-mode 9 "Scheduled" and "Deadline" are no longer parsed if they are not in the beginning
@ 2018-06-19 18:13 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2018-06-19 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Katson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Org-lint can help find and repair this for you (I think).

Please excuse brevity. Sent from tiny pocket computer with non-haptic feedback keyboard.

@ 2018-06-19 18:59   ` Igor Katson
From: Igor Katson @ 2018-06-19 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode