emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Do you like to have your TODOs at the same headline level?
@ 2015-08-25 19:54 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2015-08-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to spend more time in a sparse tree view where I just see TODOs (C-c
/ t).  I didn't like having the TODOs at different levels of indentation,
though.  I prefer seeing them all lined up, so I moved them all to be
fourth-level headline.  It's visually pleasing, and I don't care if a
second-level headline has a fourth-level child without a third-level one.

Do other people do this?

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: Do you like to have your TODOs at the same headline level?
@ 2015-08-26 10:31 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-08-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

William Denton <wtd-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
> I'm trying to spend more time in a sparse tree view where I just see
> TODOs (C-c / t).  I didn't like having the TODOs at different levels
> of indentation, though.  I prefer seeing them all lined up, so I moved
> them all to be fourth-level headline.  It's visually pleasing, and
> I don't care if a second-level headline has a fourth-level child
> without a third-level one.
>
> Do other people do this?

No, and I don't think that's sane.  It would be logical to expect
problems at export time (to LaTeX, among others) and in Org-lint.

I try to put all the tasks at the 2nd level, the 1st level being
reserved for big sections such as "Administration", "Tasks", "Team",
etc.

I'm very rigorous about expecting that all my "project management"
documents can be exported (without loosing subtrees or generating error)
to HTML (as the very first goal) and to LaTeX (as the second one).

OTOH, I don't deny your wish to get things aligned; that's why I've
opted to 4-char todo states only!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Do you like to have your TODOs at the same headline level?
@ 2015-08-26 16:08   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-08-26 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

> William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:
>> I'm trying to spend more time in a sparse tree view where I just see
>> TODOs (C-c / t).  I didn't like having the TODOs at different levels
>> of indentation, though.  I prefer seeing them all lined up, so I moved
>> them all to be fourth-level headline.  It's visually pleasing, and
>> I don't care if a second-level headline has a fourth-level child
>> without a third-level one.
>>
>> Do other people do this?
>
> No, and I don't think that's sane.  It would be logical to expect
> problems at export time (to LaTeX, among others) and in Org-lint.
>
> I try to put all the tasks at the 2nd level, the 1st level being
> reserved for big sections such as "Administration", "Tasks", "Team",
> etc.
>
> I'm very rigorous about expecting that all my "project management"
> documents can be exported (without loosing subtrees or generating error)
> to HTML (as the very first goal) and to LaTeX (as the second one).
>
> OTOH, I don't deny your wish to get things aligned; that's why I've
> opted to 4-char todo states only!
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

4-char todo states?  How about a list? I can't picture how to abbreviate some
things...

Dave

* Re: Do you like to have your TODOs at the same headline level?
@ 2015-08-26 19:00     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-08-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

dboyd2-s5q6fvC1XT8@public.gmane.org (J. David Boyd) writes:
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> William Denton <wtd-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> I'm trying to spend more time in a sparse tree view where I just see
>>> TODOs (C-c / t).  I didn't like having the TODOs at different levels
>>> of indentation, though.  I prefer seeing them all lined up, so
>>> I moved them all to be fourth-level headline.  It's visually
>>> pleasing, and I don't care if a second-level headline has
>>> a fourth-level child without a third-level one.
>>>
>>> Do other people do this?
>>
>> No, and I don't think that's sane.  It would be logical to expect
>> problems at export time (to LaTeX, among others) and in Org-lint.
>>
>> I try to put all the tasks at the 2nd level, the 1st level being
>> reserved for big sections such as "Administration", "Tasks", "Team",
>> etc.
>>
>> I'm very rigorous about expecting that all my "project management"
>> documents can be exported (without loosing subtrees or generating error)
>> to HTML (as the very first goal) and to LaTeX (as the second one).
>>
>> OTOH, I don't deny your wish to get things aligned; that's why I've
>> opted to 4-char todo states only!
>
> 4-char todo states?  How about a list? I can't picture how to
> abbreviate some things...

Sure. Here it is:

- TODO :: Open, not (yet) started.
- STRT :: In progress, working on, doing.
- WAIT :: On hold, assigned, feedback.
- SDAY :: Someday, maybe, perhaps, wish.
- DONE :: Completed, closed, resolved.
- CANX :: Wontfix, rejected.

The only exception, but that's on purpose is "NEW" for things going to
the CollectBox.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Do you like to have your TODOs at the same headline level?
@ 2015-09-01 13:15       ` cesar mena
From: cesar mena @ 2015-09-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

i do the same; 4 char states - with box around them

(setq org-todo-keyword-faces
      '(("TODO" . (:foreground "pink"
                               :box (:line-width 1 :style none)))
        ("NEXT" . (:foreground "green"
                               :box (:line-width 1 :style none)))
        ("WAIT" . (:foreground "yellow"
                               :box (:line-width 1 :style none)))
        ("HOLD" . (:foreground "light blue"
                               :box (:line-width 1 :style none)))
        ("CNC!" . (:foreground "gray"
                               :box (:line-width 1 :style none)))
        ("DONE" . (:box (:line-width 1 :style none)))))

-cm