emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* inconsistency links and code line labels
@ 2023-07-06 12:49 Dan Drake
From: Dan Drake @ 2023-07-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello -- I'm wondering about my question from here:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/77768/why-the-inconsistency-with-org-mode-code-line-labels-and-links

Copying my question: in a source code special block, I can add code line
labels, which have ref: in the label -- but when I make a link there, I
have to omit the ref:. For example:

#+begin_src csharp
1044 string foo = someFunction(1234);
1045 if (foo == "1")
1046 {
1047     bar = 5; //  (ref:my-code-line-label)
1048 }
// etc etc
#+end_src

There's a bug [[(my-code-line-label)][right here]].

This seems inconsistent. Why do I have to omit the ref: bit? This always
confuses me; it seems like it would be simpler to just make the label and
the links to that line of code be exactly the same. I don't see any
particular reference to this in the org manual (
https://orgmode.org/manual/Internal-Links.html). Any insights?

My idea would be to get rid of the special behavior for code line labels
and just make this work with dedicated targets: in regular parts of my org
file, I use <<link-target>> and can make links to that. It would be simple
and consistent to make that also work the same when <<link-target>> is
inside a code block.

Thanks!

--
Ceci n'est pas une .signature.

* Re: inconsistency links and code line labels
@ 2023-07-07  5:57 ` gerard.vermeulen
From: gerard.vermeulen @ 2023-07-07  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Drake
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, emacs-orgmode-bounces+gerard.vermeulen=posteo.net

On 06.07.2023 14:49, Dan Drake wrote:

> There's a bug [[(my-code-line-label)][right here]].
>
> This seems inconsistent. Why do I have to omit the ref: bit? This
> always confuses me; it seems like it would be simpler to just make the
> label and the links to that line of code be exactly the same. I don't
> see any particular reference to this in the org manual
> (https://orgmode.org/manual/Internal-Links.html [2]). Any insights?
>
> My idea would be to get rid of the special behavior for code line
> labels and just make this work with dedicated targets: in regular
> parts of my org file, I use <<link-target>> and can make links to
> that. It would be simple and consistent to make that also work the
> same when <<link-target>> is inside a code block.

Such link targets would conflict with <<code-block-id>> references
See: https://orgmode.org/manual/Noweb-Reference-Syntax.html

Therefore something like the behavior described in
https://orgmode.org/manual/Literal-Examples.html
must have been invented (look at the description of the -n, -r, and
-l switches).

Regards -- Gerard

* Re: inconsistency links and code line labels
@ 2023-07-07  9:48 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-07-07  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Drake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Drake <dan.drake@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello -- I'm wondering about my question from here:
>
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/77768/why-the-inconsistency-with-org-mode-code-line-labels-and-links
>
> Copying my question: in a source code special block, I can add code line
> labels, which have ref: in the label -- but when I make a link there, I
> have to omit the ref:. For example:
> 1047     bar = 5; //  (ref:my-code-line-label)
> There's a bug [[(my-code-line-label)][right here]].
>
> This seems inconsistent. Why do I have to omit the ref: bit? This always
> confuses me; it seems like it would be simpler to just make the label and
> the links to that line of code be exactly the same. I don't see any
> particular reference to this in the org manual (
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Internal-Links.html). Any insights?

The way coderefs appear in the code are completely configurable using
org-coderef-label-format ("(ref:%s)" by default) and using -l src code
switch.

> My idea would be to get rid of the special behavior for code line labels
> and just make this work with dedicated targets: in regular parts of my org
> file, I use <<link-target>> and can make links to that. It would be simple
> and consistent to make that also work the same when <<link-target>> is
> inside a code block.

If you examine 12.6 Literal Examples section of Org manual, you will see
that coderef links are exported specially:

       In literal examples, Org interprets strings like ‘(ref:name)’ as
    labels, and use them as targets for special hyperlinks like
    ‘[[(name)]]’—i.e., the reference name enclosed in single parenthesis.
    In HTML, hovering the mouse over such a link remote-highlights the
    corresponding code line, which is kind of cool.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: inconsistency links and code line labels
@ 2023-07-08 22:24   ` Dan Drake
From: Dan Drake @ 2023-07-08 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode