emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* track birthdays without having them constantly being in the agenda view
@ 2023-12-21 10:59 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2023-12-21 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Hi all,
I would like to switch to org-agenda to track birthdays, but if I
place a deadline with a +1y specifier, like:
DEADLINE: <2022-12-14 mer +1y>
the birthday pops in the agenda view even after it has passed. I'm
sure there is a simple trick to make it disappear once it has expired,
but I cannot figure how to do it.
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: track birthdays without having them constantly being in the agenda view
@ 2023-12-21 11:08 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-21 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-org list

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to switch to org-agenda to track birthdays, but if I
> place a deadline with a +1y specifier, like:
> DEADLINE: <2022-12-14 mer +1y>
> the birthday pops in the agenda view even after it has passed. I'm
> sure there is a simple trick to make it disappear once it has expired,
> but I cannot figure how to do it.
> Any suggestion?

DEADLINE is designed for tasks. Until DONE, entries with DEADLINE appear
in agenda as overdue. Is it what you generally want to see for tasks.

You can

1. Turn it into TODO and mark DONE once handled (when deadline has a
   repeater, marking birthday DONE will re-schedule it and flip the todo
   keyword back to TODO)

2. Just use timestamp like <2022-12-14 mer +1y> without DEADLINE. This
   will make the birthday appear on the day of birthday in your agenda.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: track birthdays without having them constantly being in the agenda view
@ 2023-12-21 13:49   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2023-12-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-org list

> 1. Turn it into TODO and mark DONE once handled (when deadline has a
>    repeater, marking birthday DONE will re-schedule it and flip the todo
>    keyword back to TODO)

Good to know!

> 2. Just use timestamp like <2022-12-14 mer +1y> without DEADLINE. This
>    will make the birthday appear on the day of birthday in your agenda.

This is surely the approach I'd like to go.

Thanks,
Luca