emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-capture does not capture from certain pages
@ 2023-11-22  4:01 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-11-22  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i find that if i use html gmail[*], i can capture using the
org-capture extension in firefox, and i will get page title [which is
email subject] and selected text.

this is glorious.

if i do the same from emails sent to a disroot.org address, it
captures only like

  ***** [[https://webmail.disroot.org/?_task=mail&_mbox=INBOX][Disroot
webmail :: Inbox]]

i wonder if this is fixable?  disroot uses js.

[*] html gmail is horrifyingly going away soon, and for those who'd
like me to de-google, every time i use google takeout, it fails to
download my emails.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: org-capture does not capture from certain pages
@ 2023-11-22 16:52 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-11-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 22/11/2023 11:01, Samuel Wales wrote:
> org-capture extension in firefox
[...]
> if i do the same from emails sent to a disroot.org address, it
> captures only like
>
>    ***** [[https://webmail.disroot.org/?_task=mail&_mbox=INBOX][Disroot
> webmail :: Inbox]]

It seems neither the org-capture developer nor other disroot users read
this mailing list since you did not response previous time:

https://list.orgmode.org/CAJcAo8uXpmLMLB0MaHRvJRmNzSzvyzxxXVD_rpPYCmj9xeUY1g@mail.gmail.com/T/#u
Fri, 6 Oct 2023 16:43:46 -0700

The following add-on is not suitable for you, but it tries to get
metadata for web pages more aggressively:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/linkremark/
Can it get details you need when called through the toolbar icon or
through context menu for selected text? It should open a "preview" tab
with obtained page info.

> i wonder if this is fixable?  disroot uses js.

The link you posted tells that it does not use History API to set URL to
specific message. It might use an iframe to display current message. The
question is if it makes message subject available in page metadata.

> [*] html gmail is horrifyingly going away soon

Try to find a mail application suitable for you (I have not tried Emacs
built-in ones) and use IMAP to access your mail boxes.

* org-capture does not capture from certain pages
@ 2023-11-27  4:11   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-11-27  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 11/22/23, Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems neither the org-capture developer nor other disroot users read
> this mailing list since you did not response previous time:
>
> https://list.orgmode.org/CAJcAo8uXpmLMLB0MaHRvJRmNzSzvyzxxXVD_rpPYCmj9xeUY1g@mail.gmail.com/T/#u

ah thank you.  i haev been experiencing cognitive decline.

> Fri, 6 Oct 2023 16:43:46 -0700
>
> The following add-on is not suitable for you, but it tries to get
> metadata for web pages more aggressively:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/linkremark/
> Can it get details you need when called through the toolbar icon or
> through context menu for selected text? It should open a "preview" tab
> with obtained page info.

will do when i am able to ensure i am doing it right.  hafve installed
the extension.  need to test this on disroot.

btw checking also i found that there is a url for mobile inbox view.
idk if it is going to go away like html view.  it does use js
unfortunately. so it might be a replacement for html view.  it has
intelligent horizontal space for y fonts.  low contrast unfortuately.

in /this/ view, text selection /does/ capture.  however, unfortunately
the title of the url does not includ the subject,

so a different org-capture problem.  will look at the disroot one when
i can.  and try it for this view also.

if view does not go away it will give me more time to transition to
non-google at least, if the imap idea which is a good idea is too hard
to get working for me.

# the 9... stands for 3 numbers starting with 9.  idk if privacy
issue.  tried searchjig for it and nothing came up but this works
https://mail.google.com/mail/mu/mp/9.../#tl/search/html%20view%20standard

>> i wonder if this is fixable?  disroot uses js.
>
> The link you posted tells that it does not use History API to set URL to
> specific message. It might use an iframe to display current message. The
> question is if it makes message subject available in page metadata.

ok

>> [*] html gmail is horrifyingly going away soon
>
> Try to find a mail application suitable for you (I have not tried Emacs
> built-in ones) and use IMAP to access your mail boxes.

ah good idea, like thunderbird or so i guess?  i am philosophically on
board with gnus or so but i need good mouse support and prefer running
through tor [though perhaps that is a pointless idea] and cannot do
complex configuring so i am guessing no gnus most likely.