emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Support for buffer-column-aligned tables in Org?
@ 2023-10-25 19:14 Jens Schmidt
From: Jens Schmidt @ 2023-10-25 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Is there any kind of support (also by non-core extensions) for tables
in Org that are entirely organized along buffer columns?  Some magic
(= clever heuristics) that recognizes the following as a table with
four columns, the first three left-aligned, the last right-aligned:

        <6>                             1.0
     1  one                  some      10.0
     2  two                  boring   100.0
     3  This is a long text  column  1000.0

By "organized along buffer columns" I mean that basically any kind of
white-space should be allowed to align the columns in the buffer.

By "any kind of support" I mean:

- one-time conversion support to an Org table along the lines of C-c |

- or edit/export support of such tables w/o the need to convert them
  to an Org table first.

I tried searching but failed to find search terms that are specific
enough to find anything useful.

Thanks.

* Re: Support for buffer-column-aligned tables in Org?
@ 2023-10-25 23:11 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-10-25 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Schmidt; +Cc: Org-mode

long shot but try align.el maybe?  column -t or similar?

===

fwiw a more advanced version: cells shouodb e presumed to be in their
own columns even if missing.

length  20  H  width  20  depth  20
length  2        width  20  depth  20

i mainly want to compact these column tables by reducing extraneous
whitespece beetween columns to the miimum whitespace necessary while
retaining all columns.

an org table would be itnerestig.

i have long wondered if org tables could be converted into a minimal
column-based ascii table such as yours, to preserve horizontal space.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: Support for buffer-column-aligned tables in Org?
@ 2023-10-25 23:14   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-10-25 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Schmidt; +Cc: Org-mode

ignore the 2 spaces before width in row 2