emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* returning propertized strings
@ 2017-05-20 22:59 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-05-20 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If I run this block I get test as a result, but all its properties have
been stripped.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results drawer
(propertize "test" 'font-lock-face '(:foreground "red") 'help-echo
"tooltip")
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:RESULTS:
test
:END:

Does anyone know where this happens and if it can be avoided?

Thanks,
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: returning propertized strings
@ 2017-05-21  1:46 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2017-05-21  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sat, 20 May 2017, John Kitchin wrote:

> If I run this block I get test as a result, but all its properties have
> been stripped.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results drawer
> (propertize "test" 'font-lock-face '(:foreground "red") 'help-echo
> "tooltip")
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> :RESULTS:
> test
> :END:
>
> Does anyone know where this happens and if it can be avoided?

Where?

Not sure, but late enough that `:results pp' will print them or `:post
...' will receive them in `*this*'.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results drawer pp
(propertize "test" 'font-lock-face '(:foreground "red") 'help-echo
"tooltip")
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: #("test" 0 4
:   (help-echo "tooltip" font-lock-face
: 	     (:foreground "red")))

also `*this*' will contain the propertized version if you use the :post
header arg.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: returning propertized strings
@ 2017-05-21 13:04   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-05-21 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Charles C. Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 May 2017, John Kitchin wrote:
>
> If I run this block I get test as a result, but all its properties have
>> been stripped.
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results drawer
>> (propertize "test" 'font-lock-face '(:foreground "red") 'help-echo
>> "tooltip")
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+RESULTS:
>> :RESULTS:
>> test
>> :END:
>>
>> Does anyone know where this happens and if it can be avoided?
>>

> Where?
>
> Not sure, but late enough that `:results pp' will print them or `:post
> ...' will receive them in `*this*'.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results drawer pp
> (propertize "test" 'font-lock-face '(:foreground "red") 'help-echo
> "tooltip")
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : #("test" 0 4
> :   (help-echo "tooltip" font-lock-face
> :            (:foreground "red")))

I get this too, but  I really want test to actually be red, and have a
tooltip in the results, and neither of these two methods seem to achieve
that.

@ 2017-05-21 21:21     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-05-21 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org