emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [Babel][R] Inclusion of multi-line named code blocks in R code
@ 2013-09-18 21:51 Alexander Vorobiev
From: Alexander Vorobiev @ 2013-09-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have R code which submits SQL statements to a database server. Since the
SQL is rather complex, I want to put it into a separate code block in order
to have proper formatting, syntax highlighting, etc:

#+name: long-sql
#+begin_src sql
    select *
    from many, tables
    where
        complex_condition1 = 1,
        complex_condition2 = 2
#+end_src

* Load the data to R session
#+begin_src R :session *R* :noweb yes
    result <- submit_query('<<long-sql>>')
#+end_src

Unfortunately, the R block doesn't work. When I open the file generated by
Babel, I see this:

result <- submit_query('select *
result <- submit_query('from many, tables
etc

instead of the one R submit_query call with my SQL statement as an
argument. Is there anything I can do to achieve that?

Thanks
Alex

* Re: [Babel][R] Inclusion of multi-line named code blocks in R code
@ 2013-09-18 22:27 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-09-18 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Vorobiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Alex,

My work flow in this situation evaluates the SQL to create an Org-mode
table, which serves as input to the R source code block.

For me, seeing the SQL output in a table is a sanity check.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [Babel][R] Inclusion of multi-line named code blocks in R code
@ 2013-09-19  0:43   ` Alexander Vorobiev
From: Alexander Vorobiev @ 2013-09-19  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately I can't have pure SQL output in my org files for two reasons:

1. The result set I am dealing with for this particular problem is about
20000 records
2. My SQL server (Netezza, "big data appliance") is not supported by
Babel-SQL. I configured sql-mode to work with Netezza but session-based SQL
is not supported by Babel either. I started adding support for SQL sessions
to ob-sql.el and it kind of works but the results I am getting are
inconsistent and only a small subset of header parameters is supported. Of
course I haven't tested is with any other database. I can share what I've
done if anybody is interested.

Regards,
Alex

@ 2013-09-19 15:14     ` Alexander Vorobiev
From: Alexander Vorobiev @ 2013-09-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I found an answer to my question. It turned out this behavior is described
in the documentation for org-babel-expand-noweb-references:

"Note that any text preceding the <<foo>> construct on a line will be
interposed between the lines of the replacement text.  So for example if
<<foo>> is placed behind a comment, then the entire replacement text will
also be commented."

It is also documented in the manual
http://orgmode.org/manual/noweb.html#noweb in the "Noweb prefix lines"
section.

So, in my case the solution is to put the <<long-sql>> reference on the
next line:

#+begin_src R :session *R* :noweb yes
  result <- submit_query("
  <<long-sql>>")
#+end_src

It doesn't look as nice as before but it works.

Alex

@ 2013-10-07 15:42     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-10-07 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Vorobiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alex,

I made a first draft of the Babel SQL documentation for Worg.  See
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-sql.html

Please edit or augment as you see fit.

I believe you need FSF papers to contribute to ob-sql.el.  If you have
those, then by all means, please add Netezza support and get the ball
rolling on sessions.

All the best,

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [Babel][R] Inclusion of multi-line named code blocks in R code
@ 2013-10-07 20:58       ` Alexander Vorobiev
From: Alexander Vorobiev @ 2013-10-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode