emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-protocol commands are treated as filenames
@ 2013-03-06 13:37 Stu White
From: Stu White @ 2013-03-06 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

First of all, if this question has been answered before or I should direct
it elsewhere then please let me know. I've spent some time researching and
experimenting, but I'm new to Emacs so I may well have overlooked something
obvious.

I'm trying to get org-protocol working, and I've hit a snag that I'm hoping
is something basic that I'm missing. I've followed the instructions on the
web (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html). However, when
I launch Emacs with a command-line argument consisting of an org-protocol
command then Emacs treats it as a filename rather than a command.

For example, if I run:

\emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe org-protocol:/store-link:/
www.google.com/Google

Then I see in my buffer list that I'm editing a file called
"C:\trash\org-protocol:/store-link:/www.google.com/Google" (or whatever).

I'm using Emacs 24.2, M-x org-version reports version 7.8.11, and all I've
got in my init.el is:

(server-start)
(require 'org-protocol)

I believe that's all I need as org-protocol is included in 24.2 by default. Is
there some special command that I'm missing that instructs Emacs that an
argument should not be treated as a filename? Or is my problem more complex
than that?

Many thanks for any guidance you can give -- I'm a little new to all this.

Cheers,
Stu