emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Defining macros globally
@ 2016-12-19 13:40 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2016-12-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Is it possible to define macros globally, probably in the ~/.emacs init
file with some elisp, instead of on a per-file basis using the #+MACRO
keyword?

Thanks,
Arun Isaac.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Defining macros globally
@ 2016-12-19 15:10 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:

> Is it possible to define macros globally, probably in the ~/.emacs init
> file with some elisp, instead of on a per-file basis using the #+MACRO
> keyword?

This is not possible ATM.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Defining macros globally
@ 2016-12-19 17:59 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-12-19 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016, 7:12 PM Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to define macros globally, probably in the ~/.emacs init
> file with some elisp, instead of on a per-file basis using the #+MACRO
> keyword?

You can choose to put all macros in a single org file, and then add that
one file as a #+SETUPFILE in all the org files where you wish to use those
macros.

> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Defining macros globally
@ 2016-12-19 18:41   ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-12-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Arun Isaac, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to define macros globally, probably in the ~/.emacs init
>> file with some elisp, instead of on a per-file basis using the #+MACRO
>> keyword?
>
> This is not possible ATM.

Perhaps the OP could do this?

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
   (setq my-new-macros
 	'(("def" . "d $1 e $2 f")
 	  ("ghi" . "GHI only")))

   (defun add-my-macros (&rest x)
     (nconc org-macro-templates my-new-macros))

   (advice-add 'org-macro-initialize-templates :filter-return
 	      #'add-my-macros)

#+END_SRC

Admittedly, this invites problems if `my-new-macros' is malformed. But
there could be ways to impose a discipline that would assure that it is
not.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Defining macros globally
@ 2016-12-19 22:04     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-19 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: Arun Isaac, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2016, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:
>>
>>> Is it possible to define macros globally, probably in the ~/.emacs init
>>> file with some elisp, instead of on a per-file basis using the #+MACRO
>>> keyword?
>>
>> This is not possible ATM.
>
> Perhaps the OP could do this?
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>    (setq my-new-macros
>  	'(("def" . "d $1 e $2 f")
>  	  ("ghi" . "GHI only")))
>
>    (defun add-my-macros (&rest x)
>      (nconc org-macro-templates my-new-macros))
>
>    (advice-add 'org-macro-initialize-templates :filter-return
>  	      #'add-my-macros)
>

> #+END_SRC
>
> Admittedly, this invites problems if `my-new-macros' is malformed. But
> there could be ways to impose a discipline that would assure that it is
> not.

I added `org-export-global-macros' in master. It's Christmas, after all.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Defining macros globally