emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Conditionally formatting org-html-postamble-format
@ 2016-01-26 21:46 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-01-26 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

I have the org-html-postamble-format set to the below:

(setq org-html-postamble-format
                  `(("en"
                     ,(concat "Exported using "
                              ;; "%c" is replaced with
`org-html-creator-string'
                              ;; Emacs <VERSION> (Org mode <VERSION>)
                              "<div style=\"display: inline\"
class=\"creator\">"
                              "%c</div> "
                              "by %a. — "
                              "<div style=\"display: inline\"
class=\"date\">"
                              "%d</div>"))))

It works great except for the cases where I have set a document author to
nothing using

#+AUTHOR:

What would be the best way to set the postamble so that the "by %a" portion
does not get printed if the %a value is "".

Right now, if the author is nil, the postamble gets exported as:

Exported using
Emacs <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> 25.0.50.1 (Org
<http://orgmode.org/> mode 8.3.3)
 by . —
Jan 26 2016, Tue

* Re: Conditionally formatting org-html-postamble-format
@ 2016-01-27 18:26 ` Robert H. Klein
From: Robert H. Klein @ 2016-01-27 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hi,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the org-html-postamble-format set to the below:
>
> (setq org-html-postamble-format
>                   `(("en"
>                      ,(concat "Exported using "
>                               ;; "%c" is replaced with
> `org-html-creator-string'
>                               ;; Emacs <VERSION> (Org mode <VERSION>)
>                               "<div style=\"display: inline\"
> class=\"creator\">"
>                               "%c</div> "
>                               "by %a. — "
>                               "<div style=\"display: inline\"
> class=\"date\">"
>                               "%d</div>"))))
>

> It works great except for the cases where I have set a document
> author to nothing using
>
> #+AUTHOR:
>
> What would be the best way to set the postamble so that the "by %a"
> portion does not get printed if the %a value is "".
>
> Right now, if the author is nil, the postamble gets exported as:
>
> Exported using
> Emacs <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/> 25.0.50.1 (Org
> <http://orgmode.org/> mode 8.3.3)
>  by . —
> Jan 26 2016, Tue

how about using a postamble function instead of
html-postamble-format, something like

(let ((author (car (plist-get info :author))))
  (when (not (equal author ""))
    "by " author ". "))
" - "

instead of "by %a. - "

and similar for the rest of the %-thingies.

Note, you'll probably have to inspect the plist, the (car ...) I'm
using in some project for getting the title.

Best regards
Robert

* Re: Conditionally formatting org-html-postamble-format
@ 2016-01-27 18:35   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-01-27 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert H. Klein; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

> how about using a postamble function instead of html-postamble-format

Does it mean that I need to look into modifying the
org-html--build-pre/postamble function?

If so, I will start looking into it but it will take a while as it full of
elisp that I have never used (until today maybe): format-spec, plist-get
and a lot of assoc's and assq's :)

Kaushal

* Re: Conditionally formatting org-html-postamble-format
@ 2016-01-27 19:51     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-01-27 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
>> how about using a postamble function instead of html-postamble-format
>
> Does it mean that I need to look into modifying the org-html--build-pre/postamble function?

No, Robert is talking about the variable org-html-postamble,
which you can set to a function. No need to muck around with
the internals of org.

C-h v org-html-postamble says

,----
| org-html-postamble is a variable defined in ‘ox-html.el’.
| Its value is auto
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means insert a postamble in HTML export.
|
| When set to ‘auto’, check against the
| ‘org-export-with-author/email/creator/date’ variables to set the
| content of the postamble.  When set to a string, use this string
| as the postamble.  When t, insert a string as defined by the
| formatting string in ‘org-html-postamble-format’.
|
| When set to a function, apply this function and insert the
| returned string.  The function takes the property list of export
| options as its only argument.
|
| Setting :html-postamble in publishing projects will take
| precedence over this variable.
`----

Try

(defun foo (info)
  "This is my postamble")

(setq org-html-postamble (function foo))

and complicate the function as necessary to produce what you want.
Of course, you can use an anonymous function too:

(setq org-html-postamble (function (lambda (info)
                                     "This is my postamble")))

Nick

* Re: Conditionally formatting org-html-postamble-format
@ 2016-01-27 19:55     ` Robert H. Klein
From: Robert H. Klein @ 2016-01-27 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hi Kaushal,

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> > how about using a postamble function instead of
> > html-postamble-format
>
> Does it mean that I need to look into modifying the
> org-html--build-pre/postamble function?
>
> If so, I will start looking into it but it will take a while as it
> full of elisp that I have never used (until today maybe):
> format-spec, plist-get and a lot of assoc's and assq's :)

No, I have two functions, one for the preamble, one for the postamble,
both returning a string.  In the project alist I set :html-preamble
and :html-postamble to those functions (beware of typos):

  ;; pre- and postamble for html export
  (defun linux-e-preamble (info)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert-file-contents "~/linuxdocs/html/preamble.html")
      (let ((title (car (plist-get info :title))))
        (when title
          (if (stringp title)
              (let ((case-fold-search t)) ; case-insensitive
                (goto-char (point-min))
                (while (search-forward "<org-title />" nil t)
                  (replace-match title))))))
      (buffer-string)))

  (defun linux-e-postamble (info)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert-file-contents "~/linuxdocs/html/postamble.html")
      (buffer-string)))

  ;; add linux to org-publish-poject-alist
  (add-to-list 'org-publish-project-alist
               '("linux-e-html"
                 :base-directory "~/linuxdocs"
                 :base-extension "org"
                 :publishing-directory "~/public_html/linuxdocs"
                 :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html
                 :html-head "<link rel=\"stylesheet\" type=\"text/css\"
  href=\"css/linuxdocs.css\" />" :html-head-include-default-style nil
                 :html-head-include-scripts nil
                 :html-preamble linux-e-preamble
                 :html-postamble linux-e-postamble
                 ))

Best regards
Robert

* Re: Conditionally formatting org-html-postamble-format
@ 2016-01-28  4:36       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-01-28  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert H. Klein, Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-org list