emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* multiple cursor not working properly with org-mode
@ 2015-10-14 20:56 Jérémie Juste
From: Jérémie Juste @ 2015-10-14 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Multiple cursor <https://github.com/magnars/multiple-cursors.el>is a very
handy tool. but I don't understand why it does not work properly in
org-mode.  I can delete characters but I cannot  write anything in
org-mode. For the time being when it's not too costly I've resorted
switching to text-mode make the modification and then back to org-mode.

anyone tried something better?

--
Jérémie Juste

* Re: multiple cursor not working properly with org-mode
@ 2015-10-14 21:17 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-14 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Juste; +Cc: emacs-org list

It works fine for me.

Have you tried starting an emacs -Q session and loading just
multiple-cursors (and org-mode, if you are not using the org-mode version
shipped with emacs)?

Can you replicate the problem then?

If not, then comment out your whole emacs config and uncomment it 50% at a
time between emacs restarts till you narrow down to the part in the config
causing this issue.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-16 15:10   ` Jérémie Juste
From: Jérémie Juste @ 2015-10-16 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hello,

I started an emacs - Q session and loaded only multiple-cursors. I still
have the same issue.
my verson of multiple-cursors is multiple-cursors-20150710.456 - the latest
one from melpa.

--

@ 2015-10-16 15:20     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Juste; +Cc: emacs-org list

I am using the same multiple-cursors version.

What is you OS, emacs version (M-x emacs-version) and org-mode version
(M-x org-version)?

I don't know if that information will help as I have never seen the
problem you described. But it will still be good to have that info.

What happens when you try to write anything.. can you post what you
get when you hit something like "C-h c a" once you are in that mode
when you cannot type?
Does this happen after all of multiple-cursors commands
(mc/mark-next-like-this, mc/mark-prev-like-this, ...)?

It will be very useful if you can provide a step-by-step explanation
of what commands you are running to recreate that problem starting
from an emacs -Q session.. provide us a recipe of the problem.

It should also open this issue on the multiple-cursors github with all
the above info if you are sure that this happens only with
multiple-cursors loaded.

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-10-16 15:53       ` Jérémie Juste
From: Jérémie Juste @ 2015-10-16 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list

*
   emacs version

   GNU EMACS 24.5.1 (X86_64-REDHAT-LINUX-GNU, GTK+ VERSION 3.16.6) OF
2015-09-14 ON BUILDVM-10.PHX2.FEDORAPROJECT.ORG

   Org version

   Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-103-g366dc4-elpa @
/home/DJJ/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150907/)

   * About the problem

   When I have a key binding which is s-d for mc/mark-next-like-this. This
works pretty well. I can mark easily what I want to mark. I can delete
characters with all the cursors but when I type a character only the first
cursor enters them. I have the same issue with  mc/mark-previous-like-this.

   I tried the same procedure with different mode but didn't have any
problem. (eg ess-mode, python-mode, text-mode, lisp-mode)

I hope I have provided enough info. I'll be glad to provide more info if it
can help.

--

@ 2015-10-16 18:06         ` Ivan Andrus
From: Ivan Andrus @ 2015-10-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Juste; +Cc: emacs-org list, Kaushal Modi

I haven’t been following the thread so this may have already been asked,
but have you checked ~/.emacs.d/.mc-lists.el ?

Perhaps org-self-insert-command found it’s way into the wrong list.  It’s
safe to just delete the file and restart Emacs.

-Ivan

*

<http://buildvm-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org/>

--

@ 2015-10-16 18:18           ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Andrus; +Cc: Jérémie Juste, emacs-org list

Ivan made a very good point. It this actually is the problem it would
also explain why you see it in emacs -Q too.

--
Kaushal Modi