emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* RFC: ob-sql-mode.el: Use sql-mode with Org Babel
@ 2016-12-16 11:09 Nik Clayton
From: Nik Clayton @ 2016-12-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hoi,

I'd like to solicit feedback on ob-sql-mode.el,
https://github.com/nikclayton/org-mode/commit/106b22e9ef4835e15efc47d63aaeee675a1ebb69
.

This introduces a new Org Babel language, "sql-mode". Unlike the current
"sql" language, this one uses sql-mode to manage the interaction with the
SQL interpreters, so it supports all the backends that sql-mode supports.

It also supports sessions, so you can have different src blocks connected
to different databases or configurations in that database.

If you have, for example, "sqlite" installed on your system, you can put
the following (rather trivial) query in an Org file and evaluate it in the
usual way

#+BEGIN_SRC sql-mode :product sqlite
SELECT 1, 2, 3;
#+END_SRC

The evaluation result will look like

#+RESULTS:
: 1|2|3

Org property headers and drawers are also supported, so you could omit the
:product argument if you had

#+PROPERTY: header-args:sql-mode :product sqlite

or a property drawer that looked like

:PROPERTIES:
:header-args: :product sqlite
:END:

in scope.

​I'm about to go on vacation for a few weeks, so won't have the chance to
respond to feedback until early January, but I wanted to get this out
there. I'm releasing this in my capacity as a Google employee, and Google
has a copyright assignment on file with the FSF.​

Best, ​N
--
Google Switzerland GmbH, Identifikationsnummer: CH-020.4.028.116-1

* RFC: ob-sql-mode.el: Use sql-mode with Org Babel
       [not found] ` <CAFZUrCyco6ROHdoTRn=SAdzujNWq9WSt3c4X5EB_cBBZ27iosw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-12-17  9:33   ` Nik Clayton
From: Nik Clayton @ 2016-12-17  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode