emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Fill-up Kanban board with entries
@ 2016-01-12 15:58 Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2016-01-12 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have the following test.org file:

=== test.org ===

* Kanban board
| TODO | NEXT | STARTED | WAITING | DONE | CANCELED |
|------+------+---------+---------+------+----------|
|      |      |         |         |      |          |
|      |      |         |         |      |          |
|      |      |         |         |      |          |
|      |      |         |         |      |          |
|      |      |         |         |      |          |
|      |      |         |         |      |          |
#+TBLFM: @1='(kanban-headers $#)::@2$1..@>$>='(kanban-zero $# @# "TAG"
'("test.org"))
#+TBLFM: @1='(kanban-headers $#)::@2$1..@>$>='(kanban-todo @#
@2$2..@>$> "TAG" '("test.org"))
* READING
** TODO Book A
** TODO Book B
* WRITING
** Article
** WAITING Blog post
* HOME
** Errands

=== END ===

The different states that I use are listed in the org-table header. I
am able to use the first TBLFM to clear the entries. But, using "C-c
C-c" on the second TBLFM doesn't list all the entries in the org-table
in their respective columns. The expected output should be like:

https://gist.github.com/shakthimaan/7f8e014ad29794672646

What could I be missing? I am using Org-mode version 8.2.10 with GNU Emacs 24.5.

Appreciate any help in this regard,

Thanks!

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

* Re: Fill-up Kanban board with entries
@ 2016-01-13  4:47 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-01-13  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following test.org file:
>
> === test.org ===
>
> * Kanban board
> | TODO | NEXT | STARTED | WAITING | DONE | CANCELED |
> |------+------+---------+---------+------+----------|
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |
> |      |      |         |         |      |          |

> #+TBLFM: @1='(kanban-headers $#)::@2$1..@>$>='(kanban-zero $# @# "TAG"
> '("test.org"))
>
> #+TBLFM: @1='(kanban-headers $#)::@2$1..@>$>='(kanban-todo @#
> @2$2..@>$> "TAG" '("test.org"))
>
> * READING
> ** TODO Book A
> ** TODO Book B
> * WRITING
> ** Article
> ** WAITING Blog post
> * HOME
> ** Errands
>
> === END ===
>
> The different states that I use are listed in the org-table header. I
> am able to use the first TBLFM to clear the entries. But, using "C-c
> C-c" on the second TBLFM doesn't list all the entries in the org-table
> in their respective columns. The expected output should be like:
>
> https://gist.github.com/shakthimaan/7f8e014ad29794672646
>
> What could I be missing? I am using Org-mode version 8.2.10 with GNU Emacs 24.5.
>
> Appreciate any help in this regard,
>
> Thanks!

I took a quick look: one thing that is wrong is that you copied the
TBLFM lines from kanban.el verbatim, but they don't apply to your file
as they stand - e.g. they seem to be looking for a tag but you don't
have any in your test file. Try replacing "TAG" with nil and see if that
gets you further. But my hunch is that the kanban-* functions are either
buggy or they have not been kept up to date with recent developments in
org, so they are not going to work even after that change. Your best bet
might be to contact the author of kanban.el: it is not part of org-mode
after all (not even in contrib).

Suggestion for the future: if you are using functions outside org-mode
proper in your question, please provide either the code of the functions
themselves or at least a URL where one can find the code. And make the
example complete: I had to add a #+TODO: line for all the states in
order for kanban-headers to work.

--
Nick

* Re: Fill-up Kanban board with entries
@ 2016-01-13  5:31   ` Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2016-01-13  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

--- On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
| Try replacing "TAG" with nil and see if that
| gets you further.
\--

That didn't take me further.

---
| But my hunch is that the kanban-* functions are either
| buggy or they have not been kept up to date with recent developments in
| org, so they are not going to work even after that change.
\--

You are right.

---
| Your best bet
| might be to contact the author of kanban.el: it is not part of org-mode
| after all (not even in contrib).
\--

I have written to the author.

---
| Suggestion for the future: if you are using functions outside org-mode
| proper in your question, please provide either the code of the functions
| themselves or at least a URL where one can find the code. And make the
| example complete: I had to add a #+TODO: line for all the states in
| order for kanban-headers to work.
\--

Oops! Sorry about that. I use kanban-20150930.917 from:
  https://bitbucket.org/ArneBab/kanban.el/src/54d855426372095df01549c2cebec73bd0556891/kanban.el?fileviewer=file-view-default

I also have the following in my Emacs start-up:

(setq org-todo-keywords
  '((sequence "TODO(t)" "NEXT(n)" "STARTED(s)" "WAITING(w)" "|"
"DONE(d)" "CANCELED(c)")))

Thanks for your reply,

SK

--