emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* can't assign to hline relative reference
@ 2015-08-31  2:47 Luke Swart
From: Luke Swart @ 2015-08-31  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

There seems to be an error when using hline-relative references in an
org-mode table’s formula. For example, I have the following org-mode table:

    #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id global
    | /Project/      | Mon | Tue | Wed |  Thu | Fri |  Sat | Sun | /Total/ |
    |----------------+-----+-----+-----+------+-----+------+-----+---------|
    | AnotherProduct |     |     |     |      |     | 2.50 |     |         |
    | Prototype      |     |     |     | 3.50 |     |      |     |         |
    |----------------+-----+-----+-----+------+-----+------+-----+---------|
    | /Daily/        |     |     |     |      |     |      |     |         |
    #+TBLFM: @I$9..@II$9=vsum($2..$8);%.2f;::@II$2..@III$9='(format
"%3.2f" (apply '+ '(@I..@II)));N;

and I get the error can't assign to hline relative reference when I run M-x
org-table-recalculate. I looked over the org-mode references documentation
<http://orgmode.org/manual/References.html> and the gmane.org forums
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86960>, but I did not find
any reasons as to why the hline relative references could not be assigned.

This issue is related to the timesheet package on MELPA. I have filed an
issue here: https://github.com/tmarble/timesheet.el/issues/3 but hopefully
I have found the underlying problem, and hopefully it is reasonably fixable.

Here is some relevant info:

   -

   Org-mode version 8.3.1 (8.3.1-87-g4ef2c0-elpa @
   /home/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150824/)
   -

   emacs-version: 24.5.1
   -

   ArchLinux OS: Linux 4.1.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 17 08:52:28 CEST
   2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is a copy of my question posted here:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/15185/cant-assign-to-hline-relative-reference

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. I am happy to clarify
anything as well.

Thanks,
Luke
​

* Re: can't assign to hline relative reference
@ 2015-09-01  7:47 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-01  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Swart; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Luke Swart <luke.swart@gmail.com> writes:

> There seems to be an error when using hline-relative references in an
> org-mode table’s formula. For example, I have the following org-mode table:
>
>     #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id global
>     | /Project/      | Mon | Tue | Wed |  Thu | Fri |  Sat | Sun | /Total/ |
>     |----------------+-----+-----+-----+------+-----+------+-----+---------|
>     | AnotherProduct |     |     |     |      |     | 2.50 |     |         |
>     | Prototype      |     |     |     | 3.50 |     |      |     |         |
>     |----------------+-----+-----+-----+------+-----+------+-----+---------|
>     | /Daily/        |     |     |     |      |     |      |     |         |
>     #+TBLFM: @I$9..@II$9=vsum($2..$8);%.2f;::@II$2..@III$9='(format
> "%3.2f" (apply '+ '(@I..@II)));N;
>
> and I get the error can't assign to hline relative reference when I run M-x
> org-table-recalculate. I looked over the org-mode references documentation
> <http://orgmode.org/manual/References.html> and the gmane.org forums
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86960>, but I did not find
> any reasons as to why the hline relative references could not be
> assigned.

This is a known limitation: hline relative references are not allowed on
the left hand side of a formula. The error message you get should be
explicit.

There are apparently subtle problems, IIRC, as pointed out in
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86960>.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: can't assign to hline relative reference
@ 2015-09-01  8:10   ` Luke Swart
From: Luke Swart @ 2015-09-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Swart, emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas Goaziou,

Thanks very much for your clarification:

hline relative references are not allowed on the left hand side of a formula

My error message was user-error: Can't assign to hline relative reference,
which now makes sense. Still, a lot of folks didn’t understand the original
message, myself included. I will update my SO post and the Github issue to
reflect this new information.

Still, I am confused because it seems like org-mode used to allow hline
references to be assigned, no? My code snippet was taken from a section in
the timesheet.el MELPA package, which was working fine until an org-mode
update broke it. I may be missing something, so I am not sure if this is
the case.

Anyway, your response is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Luke

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:47 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

Hello,

> Luke Swart <luke.swart@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > There seems to be an error when using hline-relative references in an
> > org-mode table’s formula. For example, I have the following org-mode
> table:
> >
> >     #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id global
> >     | /Project/      | Mon | Tue | Wed |  Thu | Fri |  Sat | Sun |
> /Total/ |
> >
>  |----------------+-----+-----+-----+------+-----+------+-----+---------|
> >     | AnotherProduct |     |     |     |      |     | 2.50 |     |
> >     | Prototype      |     |     |     | 3.50 |     |      |     |
> >
>  |----------------+-----+-----+-----+------+-----+------+-----+---------|
> >     | /Daily/        |     |     |     |      |     |      |     |
> >     #+TBLFM: @I$9..@II$9=vsum($2..$8);%.2f;::@II$2..@III$9='(format
> > "%3.2f" (apply '+ '(@I..@II)));N;
> >
> > and I get the error can't assign to hline relative reference when I run
> M-x
> > org-table-recalculate. I looked over the org-mode references
> documentation
> > <http://orgmode.org/manual/References.html> and the gmane.org forums
> > <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86960>, but I did not
> find
> > any reasons as to why the hline relative references could not be
> > assigned.
>
> This is a known limitation: hline relative references are not allowed on
> the left hand side of a formula. The error message you get should be
> explicit.
>
> There are apparently subtle problems, IIRC, as pointed out in
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86960>.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

* Fwd: can't assign to hline relative reference
@ 2015-09-01  8:17     ` Luke Swart
From: Luke Swart @ 2015-09-01  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am re-sending because I didn't include everyone on the original message.

@ 2015-09-01  8:37     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Swart; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Luke Swart <luke.swart@gmail.com> writes:

> Still, I am confused because it seems like org-mode used to allow hline
> references to be assigned, no?

As Carsten pointed out, that was a bug, as Org couldn't expand them
correctly anyway. As a consequence, an error is now thrown.

Regards,