emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-15 19:08 Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-15 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

the colors on orgmode.org are made from an Emacs setup with a dark
background.

Because of the light background on the Web, code examples with syntax
highlighting are hard to read. I even avoid #+BEGIN_SRC and use
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE instead.

I played a little locally, and found, that the following simple change
makes highlighted source code readable. Just put this in an exported
HTML file, just before the `</head>' tag and keep the original styles in
place, to see the results:

pre {
    background-color:#333333;
    color:white;
}
</pre>

These are just the changed values.

Unfortunately, this changes the appearance significantly. Dark
background for all code.

As an alternative, we could change all foreground colors, in that we
keep the tint, but reduce the brightness of each. That way we would keep
the appearance and have readable code. I've changed the background to be
slightly lighter. Just put this in an exported HTML file, just before
the `</head>' tag and keep the original styles in place, to see the
results:

pre {
    /* only the changed values for <pre> again */
    background-color:#fafafa;

    /* Use bigger font? courier is soo small on my system: */
    font-size:110%;
}

.org-string   { color:#BC2020; }
.org-builtin  { color:#5C2659; }
.org-keyword  { color:#5C128A; }
.org-doc      { color:#754C4C; }
.org-constant { color:#385D5E; }

.org-variable-name { color:#805F11; }
.org-function-name { color:#0000CC; }

What do you think?

How is the font-size of code on Windows and MAC (Safari)?

  Sebastian

* Re: Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-16 13:04 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-16 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sebastian,

can you point to a page where you think the stuff is badly readable?

- Carsten

On Nov 15, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hi,
>

> the colors on orgmode.org are made from an Emacs setup with a dark
> background.
>
> Because of the light background on the Web, code examples with syntax
> highlighting are hard to read. I even avoid #+BEGIN_SRC and use
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE instead.
>

> I played a little locally, and found, that the following simple change
> makes highlighted source code readable. Just put this in an exported
> HTML file, just before the `</head>' tag and keep the original
> styles in
> place, to see the results:

> pre {
>    background-color:#333333;
>    color:white;
> }
> </pre>
>
> These are just the changed values.
>

> Unfortunately, this changes the appearance significantly. Dark
> background for all code.
>

> As an alternative, we could change all foreground colors, in that we
> keep the tint, but reduce the brightness of each. That way we would
> keep
> the appearance and have readable code. I've changed the background
> to be
> slightly lighter. Just put this in an exported HTML file, just before
> the `</head>' tag and keep the original styles in place, to see the
> results:

> pre {
>    /* only the changed values for <pre> again */
>    background-color:#fafafa;
>
>    /* Use bigger font? courier is soo small on my system: */
>    font-size:110%;
> }
>

> .org-string   { color:#BC2020; }
> .org-builtin  { color:#5C2659; }
> .org-keyword  { color:#5C128A; }
> .org-doc      { color:#754C4C; }
> .org-constant { color:#385D5E; }
>
> .org-variable-name { color:#805F11; }
> .org-function-name { color:#0000CC; }

> What do you think?
>
> How is the font-size of code on Windows and MAC (Safari)?
>

>  Sebastian

- Carsten

* Re: Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-16 13:15   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-16 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> can you point to a page where you think the stuff is badly readable?
>
> - Carsten

Yes - sorry.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#open-source-rewritten-urls

  Sebsatian

> On Nov 15, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> the colors on orgmode.org are made from an Emacs setup with a dark
>> background.
>>
>> Because of the light background on the Web, code examples with syntax
>> highlighting are hard to read. I even avoid #+BEGIN_SRC and use
>> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE instead.
>>

>> I played a little locally, and found, that the following simple change
>> makes highlighted source code readable. Just put this in an exported
>> HTML file, just before the `</head>' tag and keep the original styles in
>> place, to see the results:

>> pre {
>>    background-color:#333333;
>>    color:white;
>> }
>> </pre>
>>
>> These are just the changed values.
>>

>> Unfortunately, this changes the appearance significantly. Dark
>> background for all code.
>>

>> As an alternative, we could change all foreground colors, in that we
>> keep the tint, but reduce the brightness of each. That way we would keep
>> the appearance and have readable code. I've changed the background to be
>> slightly lighter. Just put this in an exported HTML file, just before
>> the `</head>' tag and keep the original styles in place, to see the
>> results:

>> pre {
>>    /* only the changed values for <pre> again */
>>    background-color:#fafafa;
>>
>>    /* Use bigger font? courier is soo small on my system: */
>>    font-size:110%;
>> }
>>

>> .org-string   { color:#BC2020; }
>> .org-builtin  { color:#5C2659; }
>> .org-keyword  { color:#5C128A; }
>> .org-doc      { color:#754C4C; }
>> .org-constant { color:#385D5E; }
>>
>> .org-variable-name { color:#805F11; }
>> .org-function-name { color:#0000CC; }

>> What do you think?
>>
>> How is the font-size of code on Windows and MAC (Safari)?
>>

>>  Sebastian

> - Carsten

Sebastian  Rose      Fachinformatiker / Anwendungsentwicklung
Viktoriastr. 22      Entwicklung von Anwendungen mit freien Werkzeugen
30451  Hannover      und Bibliotheken.

0173  83 93 417      sebastian_rose@gmx.de         s.rose@emma-stil.de

* Re: Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-16 13:17     ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-11-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my calibrated monitor that's fine for readability

@ 2009-11-16 15:56     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-16 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 16, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> can you point to a page where you think the stuff is badly readable?
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Yes - sorry.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#open-source-rewritten-urls

I sort-of see what you mean, but in fact these are the standard Emacs
colors for a white background.

I can make a CSS with black background colors if that is what is
wanted, or I will consider CSS made by someone better at this stuff
than I am.

Basically, define your faces and then execute org-export-htmlize-
generate-css

- Carsten

@ 2009-11-16 16:43       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
> On my calibrated monitor that's fine for readability
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>wrote:

My monitor is not calibrated, but I see all the 1's on
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/572427/display/3843090 so the
contrast is good enough.

I just installed lprof and tried to improve the calibration of my
monitor (which I never had problems with, BTW). But I couldn't enter the
monitor values for "Weißpunkt" (`white point' ???) and "Grundfarben"
(`basic colors' ??), because I did not know what to enter there. "Set
Gamma and Black Point" seems not to work correct (according to photos I
see on the net like the one mentioned above). When I load a photo for
Scanner calibration, the image is distorted - so I don't really know why
to trust that program => uninstalled it again.

There are other programs for calibration, but I don't have colorimeter
at hand. And I don't know anyone who owns such a thing.

I don't know many people, who use calibrated monitors by the way. Just a
few people doing graphics - and even they don't own a colorimeter.

It is a tiny little bit better with bigger fonts (in Opera I see heavier
font - in FF the Courier font is very light - might be a bug), or.

I think we should make it readable for everyone, right? And we should
make as close to the optimum as possible.

Here is what I see on  flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44727594@N04/4109090241/in/set-72157622816907722/

I see this lack of contrast on different hardware, too:

  - Lenovo 500 + Ubuntu 9.04/Windows Vista Business,
  - IYAMA 4 years old attached to a P4 with Debian and NVIDIA driver

@ 2009-11-16 22:33         ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-11-16 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/16 Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>:
> Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
>> On my calibrated monitor that's fine for readability
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>wrote:
>

> My monitor is not calibrated, but I see all the 1's on
> http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/572427/display/3843090 so the
> contrast is good enough.
>
> I just installed lprof and tried to improve the calibration of my
> monitor (which I never had problems with, BTW). But I couldn't enter the
> monitor values for "Weißpunkt" (`white point' ???) and "Grundfarben"
> (`basic colors' ??), because I did not know what to enter there. "Set
> Gamma and Black Point" seems not to work correct (according to photos I
> see on the net like the one mentioned above). When I load a photo for
> Scanner calibration, the image is distorted - so I don't really know why
> to trust that program => uninstalled it again.
>
> There are other programs for calibration, but I don't have colorimeter
> at hand. And I don't know anyone who owns such a thing.
>
> I don't know many people, who use calibrated monitors by the way. Just a
> few people doing graphics - and even they don't own a colorimeter.
>

> It is a tiny little bit better with bigger fonts (in Opera I see heavier
> font - in FF the Courier font is very light - might be a bug), or.
>
> I think we should make it readable for everyone, right? And we should
> make as close to the optimum as possible.
>
> Here is what I see on  flickr:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44727594@N04/4109090241/in/set-72157622816907722/

For what it's worth I find the lack of contrast here a problem too.
Though I can read the text, it's not especially pleasant.  I've also
found something similar in my exports (with a non default colour
theme), which has led me to use the following STYLE option for source
code blocks etc...

#+STYLE:    <style> pre { background-color: #191919 } pre { color:
#FFFFFF } </style>

Having a darker background colour for source code and example blocks
seems like the sensible thing to do.

R.

* Re: Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-17 17:31           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-17 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: list, Emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

At Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:33:25 +0000,
Rick Moynihan wrote:
> For what it's worth I find the lack of contrast here a problem too.
> Though I can read the text, it's not especially pleasant.  I've also
> found something similar in my exports (with a non default colour
> theme), which has led me to use the following STYLE option for source
> code blocks etc...
>
> #+STYLE:    <style> pre { background-color: #191919 } pre { color:
> #FFFFFF } </style>

I have a similar problem.  The following org-mode snippet:

#+begin_src sh
echo <<EOF
  This is some input
EOF
#+end_src

generates, upon HTML export, the following code:

  This is some input
EOF

The problem with this is that I find the yellow (ffff00 colour)
illegible on almost every monitor I use.  However, there is no class
nor id that I can adjust a style for the relevant span elements.  Even
if I define some CSS for the src or src-sh classes, these will be
overridden in the spans.  The HTML styles for the spans are hard-coded
in, it would appear.  Or maybe there is something I can configure
somewhere?

I will have a look at the export code later when I get a chance...

* Re: Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-17 18:17             ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-17 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> At Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:33:25 +0000,
> Rick Moynihan wrote:
>> For what it's worth I find the lack of contrast here a problem too.
>> Though I can read the text, it's not especially pleasant.  I've also
>> found something similar in my exports (with a non default colour
>> theme), which has led me to use the following STYLE option for source
>> code blocks etc...
>>
>> #+STYLE:    <style> pre { background-color: #191919 } pre { color:
>> #FFFFFF } </style>
>
> I have a similar problem.  The following org-mode snippet:
>

> #+begin_src sh
> echo <<EOF
>   This is some input
> EOF
> #+end_src
>
> generates, upon HTML export, the following code:

>   This is some input
> EOF
>
> The problem with this is that I find the yellow (ffff00 colour)
> illegible on almost every monitor I use.  However, there is no class
> nor id that I can adjust a style for the relevant span elements.  Even
> if I define some CSS for the src or src-sh classes, these will be
> overridden in the spans.  The HTML styles for the spans are hard-coded
> in, it would appear.  Or maybe there is something I can configure
> somewhere?
>
> I will have a look at the export code later when I get a chance...

  M-x customize-variable RET org-export-htmlize-output-type RET

Set it to `CSS'

@ 2009-11-17 19:03               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-11-17 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:17:43 +0100,
Sebastian Rose wrote:

[...]

>   M-x customize-variable RET org-export-htmlize-output-type RET
>

> Set it to `CSS'

<blush>
Sigh.  When will I ever learn.  If I think something should be
possible in org-mode, it's already there!
</blush>

Thanks for the pointer and it works perfectly (of course)!

eric

* Re: Colors for pre elem. on orgmode.org
@ 2009-11-17 19:16                 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-11-17 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/11/17 Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>:
> At Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:17:43 +0100,
> Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>   M-x customize-variable RET org-export-htmlize-output-type RET
>>

>> Set it to `CSS'
>

> <blush>
> Sigh.  When will I ever learn.  If I think something should be
> possible in org-mode, it's already there!
> </blush>

But at least by asking you educate us all :-)

> Thanks for the pointer and it works perfectly (of course)!
>
> eric

R.