emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* italics and fill paragraph behavior
@ 2008-07-18  8:26 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2008-07-18  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

1. When I ue italics with  /something in italics/ and the text spans
across multile lines org arbitrarily does from italics into roman and
back ( in a way which I cannot fathom). Is there some other prefered
way for multiline italics?

2. M-q (fill-paragraph) messes up paragraphs which have lines ending
in '\\' ie it joins lines ending \\ to the next and the \\ stops
acting

* Re: italics and fill paragraph behavior
@ 2008-07-18 14:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 18, 2008, at 1:26 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> 1. When I ue italics with  /something in italics/ and the text spans
> across multile lines org arbitrarily does from italics into roman and
> back ( in a way which I cannot fathom).

By default Org looks only for a max of two lines for emphasis.  You
can change this by customizing the variable org-emphasis-regexp-
components, the last element gives the max number of lines you want to
allow.  A restart of Emacs maybe required after you changed this
before it becomes effective.

Also, generally font-lock can have problems with font lock expressions
that span multiple lines while you type them.  For example, when you
type

  /bkjkkjjk .... text including one newline .... lkjflkjsl/

font-lock fails to see this.  Do M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer to fix
such cases.  Next time you open the buffer, font-lock does look at the
entire buffer and finds such multiline locations.

> Is there some other prefered way for multiline italics?

You can use @<i> .... @</i> if you are only interested in italics for
HTML export, but I do not think this is a "preferred" way.

> 2. M-q (fill-paragraph) messes up paragraphs which have lines ending
> in '\\' ie it joins lines ending \\ to the next and the \\ stops
> acting

Yes, this is a problem I do not know how to fix.

- Carsten