emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Full list of org-beamer functionality?
@ 2010-09-03 21:29 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-03 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I've used beamer in the past for, say, blocks I just use:

\begin{block}
Here is some text for the block
\end{block}

I was looking more closely at this today:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php

Is there a comprehensive list of all the beamer_env options that can be
passed? For example since these work:
BEAMER_env: block
BEAMER_env: example

I would have figured that this would also work:
BEAMER_env: alert

However only an itemized item shows up...

Also, example blocks are rendered with the block title: "Example (Heading
title)" and I'd rather just have "Heading title" -- is there a way to do
this?

It'd be great to see all of the possible property values that can be passed
somewhere. Maybe something like the list at the bottom of the export options
page in the org manual where you have a nice long list of all possible
options in one place?

Lastly, is there an advantage to using properties if one doesn't anticipate
using column view? If not perhaps I'll stick with straight LaTeX code...

Thanks,
John

* Re: Full list of org-beamer functionality?
@ 2010-09-04  7:44 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimhwi_7z5NvFZFO0S=a2jx+kjPQjAkkbZ=aPkNc@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-09-04  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:29:55 -0500, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Hi,
>

> When I've used beamer in the past for, say, blocks I just use:
>
> \begin{block}
> Here is some text for the block
> \end{block}
>
> I was looking more closely at this today:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
>
> Is there a comprehensive list of all the beamer_env options that can be
> passed? For example since these work:
> BEAMER_env: block
> BEAMER_env: example
>
> I would have figured that this would also work:
> BEAMER_env: alert
>
> However only an itemized item shows up...
>
> Also, example blocks are rendered with the block title: "Example (Heading
> title)" and I'd rather just have "Heading title" -- is there a way to do
> this?
>
> It'd be great to see all of the possible property values that can be passed
> somewhere. Maybe something like the list at the bottom of the export options
> page in the org manual where you have a nice long list of all possible
> options in one place?

If you are using direct beamer support within org, by having

: #+startup: beamer

in the preamble of your file, you can use the C-c C-b sequence at any
heading to see all the possible options for that heading.  This
includes the example etc. blocks.

Regarding the output produced by beamer for the example block, this
has nothing to do with org: beamer has a number of different types of
blocks from a simple block through to examples, proofs, quotes,
definition etc.  Pick the right kind for what you want.  Also
choose the beamer theme that fits your needs.

> Lastly, is there an advantage to using properties if one doesn't anticipate
> using column view? If not perhaps I'll stick with straight LaTeX code...

Yes: being able to easily specify the type of block.  And it's about
hiding all the superfluous information, leaving only the text and
structure visible!

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Full list of org-beamer functionality?
@ 2010-09-04 16:17   ` John Hendy
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimhwi_7z5NvFZFO0S=a2jx+kjPQjAkkbZ=aPkNc@mail.gmail.com>
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:29:55 -0500, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> > [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> > Hi,
> >

> > When I've used beamer in the past for, say, blocks I just use:
> >
> > \begin{block}
> > Here is some text for the block
> > \end{block}
> >
> > I was looking more closely at this today:
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.php
> >
> > Is there a comprehensive list of all the beamer_env options that can be
> > passed? For example since these work:
> > BEAMER_env: block
> > BEAMER_env: example
> >
> > I would have figured that this would also work:
> > BEAMER_env: alert
> >
> > However only an itemized item shows up...
> >
> > Also, example blocks are rendered with the block title: "Example (Heading
> > title)" and I'd rather just have "Heading title" -- is there a way to do
> > this?
> >
> > It'd be great to see all of the possible property values that can be
> passed
> > somewhere. Maybe something like the list at the bottom of the export
> options
> > page in the org manual where you have a nice long list of all possible
> > options in one place?
>
> If you are using direct beamer support within org, by having
>
> : #+startup: beamer

Duh. Gosh, can't believe I missed that. That's the ticket!

> in the preamble of your file, you can use the C-c C-b sequence at any
> heading to see all the possible options for that heading.  This
> includes the example etc. blocks.
>
> Regarding the output produced by beamer for the example block, this
> has nothing to do with org: beamer has a number of different types of
> blocks from a simple block through to examples, proofs, quotes,
> definition etc.  Pick the right kind for what you want.  Also
> choose the beamer theme that fits your needs.

Kind of. I guess my question was this:

- If I do a "straight" LaTeX block like this:
\begin{exampleblock}{Example}
Here is some text
\end{exampleblock}

I get the title "Example" for the block.

- If I do it via org-beamer like this:
*** Example block    :B_example:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: example
    :END:
Here is some text

Then I get the block title "Example (Example block)"

That's what I mean. I guess if examples are *supposed* to say Example
(what-the-example-is) then that's fine. I guess I use these blocks more for
color differentiation's sake than actually needing them to be known as
"examples" or "alerts."

> > Lastly, is there an advantage to using properties if one doesn't
> anticipate
> > using column view? If not perhaps I'll stick with straight LaTeX code...
>
> Yes: being able to easily specify the type of block.  And it's about
> hiding all the superfluous information, leaving only the text and
> structure visible!

Indeed -- this is excellent and now that I'm in the environment and know C-c
C-b it makes all the difference! I like having org markup available rather
than needing to do \emph{} in blocks since once inside of explicit LaTeX,
org's markup doesn't get picked up.

Thanks for the help!

John

@ 2010-09-04 16:47     ` Eric S Fraga