emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Something ate my timestamps
@ 2010-06-03 10:05 Uwe Schuerkamp
From: Uwe Schuerkamp @ 2010-06-03 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

I'm a relatively new org-mode user, but have been an avid emacs user
since the late 80s. I recently updated to ubuntu 10.04 and installed
the debian archive of version 6.36c, only to find my previously filled
agenda empty in emacs23.

A simple test confirms the problem with a very simple agenda file for
a new user:

* TODO fix empty agenda
  SCHEDULED:  <2010-06-02 Do>

(I'm using the german version, but also tried removing the day name to
no avail)

and the agenda remains empty for that date.

Also, the agenda todo overview remains empty.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I've also tried using the
ubuntu-provided package (6.35 I believe), but that doesn't solve the
problem, either.

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Uwe

PS: I checked the mail archive to see if this is a known problem, but
apparently it's not, please forgive me if I overlooked something
obvious.

* Re: Something ate my timestamps
@ 2010-06-03 10:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-03 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Schuerkamp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Uwe,

this works without problem for me.

What is the value of org-agenda-files?

- Carsten

On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a relatively new org-mode user, but have been an avid emacs user
> since the late 80s. I recently updated to ubuntu 10.04 and installed
> the debian archive of version 6.36c, only to find my previously filled
> agenda empty in emacs23.
>
> A simple test confirms the problem with a very simple agenda file for
> a new user:
>
> * TODO fix empty agenda
>  SCHEDULED:  <2010-06-02 Do>
>
> (I'm using the german version, but also tried removing the day name to
> no avail)
>
> and the agenda remains empty for that date.
>
> Also, the agenda todo overview remains empty.
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this? I've also tried using the
> ubuntu-provided package (6.35 I believe), but that doesn't solve the
> problem, either.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers,
>
> Uwe
>
> PS: I checked the mail archive to see if this is a known problem, but
> apparently it's not, please forgive me if I overlooked something
> obvious.

- Carsten

* Re: Something ate my timestamps
@ 2010-06-03 10:54   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-03 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Uwe Schuerkamp, emacs-orgmode

> On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

>> A simple test confirms the problem with a very simple agenda file for
>> a new user:
>>
>> * TODO fix empty agenda
>>  SCHEDULED:  <2010-06-02 Do>
>>
>> and the agenda remains empty for that date.
>>
>> Also, the agenda todo overview remains empty.
>
> What is the value of org-agenda-files?

In other words:
did you add the file to the "agenda file list"
with `C-c ['

(as explained in the manual section "Agenda files")?

cheers,

Giovanni

* Re: Something ate my timestamps
@ 2010-06-03 11:04     ` Uwe Schuerkamp
From: Uwe Schuerkamp @ 2010-06-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On 3 June 2010 12:54, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
>
>>> A simple test confirms the problem with a very simple agenda file for
>>> a new user:
>>>
>>> * TODO fix empty agenda
>>>  SCHEDULED:  <2010-06-02 Do>
>>>
>>> and the agenda remains empty for that date.
>>>
>>> Also, the agenda todo overview remains empty.
>>
>> What is the value of org-agenda-files?
>
> In other words:
> did you add the file to the "agenda file list"
> with `C-c ['
>
> (as explained in the manual section "Agenda files")?

Thanks Giovanni, that fixed the problem. Funnily enough I don't recall
removing the main file (I keep all my stuff in a single org file) from
the agenda file list, must have been some keypresses gone astray here!
;-)

All the best & thanks much for helping to restore my agenda!

Uwe