emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Just discovered the date-tree capability of Remember
@ 2010-06-09  1:30 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2010-06-09  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The org-mode documentation is very thorough and describes all the
features very well.  But often the power of a feauture is not evident
until I start experimenting. Such a feature is the date-tree option of
Remember mode  (section 9.1.2 Remember Templates).

I have a "journal.org" file which is my general purpose diary but I
manually create new headings each month and not worry about grouping
entries by day.

So what is a date tree?

It is a structure in an org-mode file that looks like:

* 2010
** 2010-05 May
** 2010-06 June
*** 2010-06-08 Tuesday
*** 2010-06-09 Wednesday
****** This is my heading
And this it the content of each node.

I wasn't aware what headings are created but as you can see they are
parts of a date in the format YYYY-MM-DD annotated with a month or day name.

Here is my Remember template:
      ("Diary" ?d "\n* %^{topic} %^g\n%i%?\nAdded: %U\n"
         "~/gtd/diary.org" date-tree)

I also discovered you can add a property to a heading
namely  the :DATE_TREE: property, then the remember filing is done
here.  The documentation didnt tell me how to set the property value
so I used t.

* Project File
** Daily work log
   :PROPERTIES:
   :DATE_TREE: t
   :END:
*** 2010
**** 2010-06 June
***** 2010-06-09 Wednesday
****** This is my heading
Added: [2010-06-09 Wed 11:20]

Overall, this is a very useful feature of Remember mode
to make a versatile electronic diary/journal.

Well done!   Maybe I will write a short tutorial.

* Re: Just discovered the date-tree capability of Remember
@ 2010-06-09 17:41 ` Uwe Schuerkamp
From: Uwe Schuerkamp @ 2010-06-09 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 9 June 2010 03:30, Charles Cave <charles_cave@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Well done!   Maybe I will write a short tutorial.

Please do, this feature looks rather interesting!

All the best, Uwe

* Re: Just discovered the date-tree capability of Remember
@ 2010-06-12 16:49   ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-06-12 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Schuerkamp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Cave