emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* keeping uptodate?
@ 2010-06-23 13:23 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-06-23 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

apologies for this one -- i remember reading somewhere about a script or
package that lets you keep uptodate with org development versions without
having to pull manually from git.  Does that sound familiar/correct?  I
would love to test the new capture stuff but if there's a better way to do
this than directly in git, i'd much prefer that better way.

Thanks as always,
matt

* Re: keeping uptodate?
@ 2010-06-23 13:44 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-23 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> about a script or package that lets you keep uptodate with org
> development versions without having to pull manually from git.

If your OS is GNU/Linux:

org-track

it downloads the latest tarball.

Please read the source code [in the contrib/lisp directory ]
for configuration.

>  I would love to test the new capture
> stuff but if there's a better way to do this than directly in git,
> i'd much prefer that better way.
I don't know if this is a better way.

You can also download by hand the latest .zip or .tgz org-latest
from http://orgmode.org

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: keeping uptodate?
@ 2010-06-23 17:24 ` Mark A. Hershberger
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimj9Y_poJcVX6IYJ8BdPPiVgwac-aprET87rFkq@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-06-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> apologies for this one -- i remember reading somewhere about a script or
> package that lets you keep uptodate with org development versions without
> having to pull manually from git.

We should have daily build installable as a debian package soon.  It
will (eventually) be at <http://launchpad.net/~org-mode>

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Embrace Ignorance.  Just don't get too attached.

* Re: keeping uptodate?
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimj9Y_poJcVX6IYJ8BdPPiVgwac-aprET87rFkq@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-06-23 18:36     ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-06-23 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> thanks to both of you.  Mark, do you think the ppa will be up in the next
> week or so?

Yes.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Embrace Ignorance.  Just don't get too attached.

* Re: Re: keeping uptodate?
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimj9Y_poJcVX6IYJ8BdPPiVgwac-aprET87rFkq@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-06-23 19:47   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-06-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Hershberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Just yesterday, I finally added this to my .bash_aliases file:

alias orgupdate='cd /home/scot/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode; git pull && make &&
make doc'

I have the org-mode/lisp path in my 'load-path and org-mode/doc at the front
of 'Info-directory-list, so it all just stays in place.  I don't "make
install" at all.

This will work if you are running GNU/Linux and you run org-mode from the
development tree (many do).  It avoids having to download the whole tarball
each time (which admittedly isn't all that arduous these days), and of
course you ge(i)t the latest goods, which is what I prefer.

That's a little sparse on detail.  If you need me to spell it out I will.

Scot

@ 2010-06-23 20:15     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-06-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Scot,

Scot Becker wrote:
> Just yesterday, I finally added this to my .bash_aliases file:
>
> alias orgupdate='cd /home/scot/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode; git pull && make &&
> make doc'

I use the same principles, except that I add a `make clean' after the `git
pull'.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: keeping uptodate?
@ 2010-06-23 20:50       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Hi Scot,
>
> Scot Becker wrote:
>> Just yesterday, I finally added this to my .bash_aliases file:
>>
>> alias orgupdate='cd /home/scot/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode; git pull && make &&
>> make doc'
>
> I use the same principles, except that I add a `make clean' after the `git
> pull'.

And I don't bother with the make at all - just git pull and
M-x org-reload

-Bernt