emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* noob question : In a table , how to update a formula when inserting a new line
@ 2010-05-08  2:21 Matt Chastagnier
From: Matt Chastagnier @ 2010-05-08  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've just started with org-mode and have done several tutorials. But I'm
stuck with this problem for 3 hours :

I have :

| item    | quantity |
|---------+----------|
| laptop  |        4 |
| desktop |        7 |
|---------+----------|
| Total   |       11 |

#+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)

I insert a new line [because I will want to add a new item] (M-S down) and
update the table (C-u C-c C-c) :

| item    | quantity |
|---------+----------|
| laptop  |        4 |
| desktop |        7 |
|         |       11 |
|---------+----------|
| Total   |       11 |

#+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)

but my formula isn't updated automatically so the wrong field is updated. I
would like the formula to become @5$2 instead of @4$2 automatically.
I've searched during 2 hours with google but found nothing :/ ... Is it
possible to do it? Cause It's very annoying to update the formula "by hand"
(sorry for my english).

and just a big thank you for this very powerful extension of emacs ^^.

Thank you in advance for having read,
hoping for an answer if you have a bit time,

Salutation

Matt C

* Re: noob question : In a table , how to update a formula when inserting a new line
@ 2010-05-08  2:56 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-08  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Chastagnier; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Matt Chastagnier <workandroll@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just started with org-mode and have done several tutorials. But I'm
> stuck with this problem for 3 hours :
>

> I have :
>
> | item    | quantity |
> |---------+----------|
> | laptop  |        4 |
> | desktop |        7 |
> |---------+----------|
> | Total   |       11 |
>
> #+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)
>
> I insert a new line [because I will want to add a new item] (M-S down) and
> update the table (C-u C-c C-c) :
>
> | item    | quantity |
> |---------+----------|
> | laptop  |        4 |
> | desktop |        7 |
> |         |       11 |
> |---------+----------|
> | Total   |       11 |
>
> #+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)
>
> but my formula isn't updated automatically so the wrong field is updated. I
> would like the formula to become @5$2 instead of @4$2 automatically.
> I've searched during 2 hours with google but found nothing :/ ... Is it
> possible to do it? Cause It's very annoying to update the formula "by hand"
> (sorry for my english).

You looked in the wrong place :-) If you look in section 3.5.1,
"References", in the Org manual, you'll find

,----
|    As a special case, references like `$LR5' and `$LR12' can be used to
| refer in a stable way to the 5th and 12th field in the last row of the
| table.
`----

So make your formula

#+TBLFM: $LR2=vsum(@I..@II)

HTH,
Nick

* Re: noob question : In a table , how to update a formula when inserting a new line
@ 2010-05-08  3:48 ` w t
From: w t @ 2010-05-08  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Chastagnier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Matt Chastagnier <workandroll@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just started with org-mode and have done several tutorials. But I'm
> stuck with this problem for 3 hours :
>

> I have :
>
> | item    | quantity |
> |---------+----------|
> | laptop  |        4 |
> | desktop |        7 |
> |---------+----------|
> | Total   |       11 |
>
> #+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)
>
> I insert a new line [because I will want to add a new item] (M-S down) and
> update the table (C-u C-c C-c) :
>
> | item    | quantity |
> |---------+----------|
> | laptop  |        4 |
> | desktop |        7 |
> |         |       11 |
> |---------+----------|
> | Total   |       11 |
>
> #+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)
>
> but my formula isn't updated automatically so the wrong field is updated. I
> would like the formula to become @5$2 instead of @4$2 automatically.

Before editing the table make sure there is no blank line between the
table and the line "#+TBLFM: @4$2=vsum(@I..@II)". Then use the
M-S-<down> command.

* Re: noob question : In a table , how to update a formula when inserting a new line
@ 2010-05-08 16:06   ` Matt Chastagnier
From: Matt Chastagnier @ 2010-05-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: w t; +Cc: emacs-orgmode