emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Confused about mobileorg setup
@ 2010-09-05  8:05 Ning Bao
From: Ning Bao @ 2010-09-05  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What I want to achieve is that upload many (50+) org files to my iphone via
dropbox. These org files are interlinked by file: links.

I am confused about how to set up MobileOrg.

Do I have to define the variable org-mobile-files in my .emacs, in order to
sync all my org files?

Or, what I need to do is to create a index.org in my "org-directory" folder
which contains file: links to all my org files?

Best regards,

Ning

On org-mode documentation:

B.2 Pushing to MobileOrg

This operation copies all files currently listed in org-mobile-files to the
directory org-mobile-directory. By default this list contains all agenda
files (as listed in org-agenda-files), but additional files can be included
by customizing org-mobiles-files. File names will be staged with path
relative to org-directory, so all files should be inside this directory.

On MobileOrg Documentation:

What files are transferred?

Your index.org file is fetched, then any files it links to are fetched, and
so on. For example, in the following case, 4 .org files will be
transferred: index.org, first.org, second.org and third.org. You may notice
third.org is linked to from two different places, but it is only downloaded
once.

*Contents of index.org:*

* [[file:first.org][An Org file I like]]
* [[file:second.org][Another Org file I like]]
  This is a [[file:third.org][link]] in the body text.

*Contents of first.org:*

* Some text
* [[file:third.org][Link to third.org]]

* Re: Confused about mobileorg setup
@ 2010-09-05 13:09 ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ning Bao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ning,

You are right that the documentation is a bit confusing there.  The
Org-mode docs describe the right way for you to proceed: define the
files you'd like to have transferred in org-agenda-files or
org-mobile-files.  This tells org-mobile-push which files to copy from
your local Org directory to Dropbox.

You should also be able to do:

(setq org-mobile-files (quote ("~/org")))

to have all .org files in a directory added to the list.

The MobileOrg docs are explaining that MobileOrg will only download
files referenced by another file.  In most cases this is useless
information, because if you list them all in org-mobile-files, they
will all be linked to from index.org and therefore all synced from
Dropbox to your phone.  I am working on some updated that I hope will
make it more clear.

Hope this helps,
Richard