emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Babel Export - Getting asked for coding system
@ 2016-09-21 22:38 David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-21 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a block of Perl using the GD library to generate a PNG:

#+BEGIN_SRC perl : results output :file output.png :exports results
  # code to generate png
  print $image -> png();
#+END_SRC

When I export, I get a buffer with the raw PNG data and the question (in the mini-buffer):

    Select coding system (default raw-text):

Hitting enter will then continue as expected.

Is there a way to specify just dumping the result out to the file without asking the question?  Adding 'raw' to ":results" doesn't do it.

--dag
--
David A. Gershman, CISSP
dagershman@dagertech.net

* Re: Babel Export - Getting asked for coding system
@ 2016-09-22 16:02 ` Aaron Ecay
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2016-09-22 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Gershman, emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

The way you have this code set up, perl will print a string to its
stdout.  Emacs will read that string into a buffer, then write it to a
file.

It would be simpler to write the file directly from perl.  Note that
this will require specifying the file name twice (in the :file header
and in the perl code).  This is because ob-perl does not support the
:results graphics syntax (which could be classed as a wishlist-type
bug).

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: Babel Export - Getting asked for coding system
@ 2016-09-22 17:14   ` David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2016-09-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you for the explanation.  It turns out I did find a work-around which is exactly what you mentioned.  The only difference is instead of specifying the file name twice, I was able to get it only once and use the 'file' option to :results:

#+BEGIN_SRC perl :results output file :exports results :var fname=image.png
  use GD;
  my $image = build_pic();
  open( F, ">$fname" );
  binmode F
  print F $image;
  close( F );
  print $fname;
#+END_SRC

As you say, this uses Perl to output the file but with the 'file' option to ":results", Org expects a filename as the output result, I only need specify the filename once, and Org will still create a link for the results section:

#+RESULTS:
[[file:image.png]]

Thanks again for your help and info!

--dag