emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* LaTeX export works but not in HTML
@ 2010-06-29 17:51 Uri Avalos
From: Uri Avalos @ 2010-06-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The following latex options produce the right format (an article scaled up to 20pts using the "arev" font):

#+LaTeX_CLASS: article
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [12pt]
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{amsmath,amsthm,amssymb} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage[20pt]{extsizes} \usepackage{arev} \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

However, when I export to HTML, the math equations fail to export. And yes, I set the right variable for exporting latex snippets in HTML.

Ideas? The culprit seems to be the arev package. Export works fine if I remove that. However, why would that cause a problem?

Using org-mode 6.36
--
--Thanks!
Uriel

* Re: LaTeX export works but not in HTML
@ 2010-06-30  6:58 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-06-30  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uri Avalos; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Uri Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The following latex options produce the right format (an article scaled up to 20pts using the "arev" font):
>
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: article
> #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [12pt]
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{amsmath,amsthm,amssymb} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage[20pt]{extsizes} \usepackage{arev} \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> However, when I export to HTML, the math equations fail to export. And yes, I set the right variable for exporting latex snippets in HTML.
>
> Ideas? The culprit seems to be the arev package. Export works fine if I remove that. However, why would that cause a problem?
>
> Using org-mode 6.36

arev.sty conflicts with a couple of packages that are included by default
when latex fragments are converted into images:

o \usepackage[mathscr]{eucal}
o \usepackage{wasysym}

Since the latex compilation of the fragment fails, no .dvi and no .png
files are produced.  If you delete arev from your header, the conflicts
go away and everything works.

The conflict with eucal elicits the message:

,----
| (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/arev/arevmath.sty
| (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/arev/ams-mdbch.sty)
| (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/ifthen.sty)
|
| ! LaTeX Error: Command `\mathscr' already defined.
|
| See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
| Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
|
| l.95 ...Alphabet{\mathscr}       {U}  {rsfs}{m}{n}
|                                                    % Ralph Smith Formal Script
| ?
`----

Then the conflict with wasysym elicits the message:

,----
| (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/arev/arevsymbols.tex
|
| ! LaTeX Error: Command `\quarternote' already defined.
|
| See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
| Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
|
| l.43 ...bol{\quarternote}{\mathalpha}{extraup}{90}
|                                                    % uni2669
| ?
`----

If I comment those two out of the (temporary) fragment latex file,
the compilation goes through without any problems, so these are the
only conflicts.

Now that I've made the diagnosis, I'll let you worry about the
cure ;-)

HTH,
Nick

* Re: LaTeX export works but not in HTML
@ 2010-07-01 19:38 Uri Avalos
From: Uri Avalos @ 2010-07-01 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks very much for the tip.

The relevant variables I needed to change were org-export-latex-default-packages-alist and org-format-latex-header. It's working fine now.

BTW, where did you find the latex fragment? I'm assuming in the tmp directory of the file?

--
--Thanks!

* Re: LaTeX export works but not in HTML
@ 2010-07-01 19:39 amscopub-mail
From: amscopub-mail @ 2010-07-01 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--
--Thanks!

* Re: LaTeX export works but not in HTML
@ 2010-07-01 20:36 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-07-01 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amscopub-mail; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

amscopub-mail@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks very much for the tip.
>
> The relevant variables I needed to change were
> org-export-latex-default-packages-alist and
> org-format-latex-header. It's working fine now.
>
> BTW, where did you find the latex fragment? I'm assuming in the tmp
> directory of the file?

On Linux, it was in

   /tmp/orgtexXXXXXX.tex

(the XXXXXX part is a SHA1 sum of the contents.) Apparently, org cleans
up these if everything goes OK, but leaves them lying around on error,
which is convenient for debugging.

Nick