emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Remember in Agenda buffers
@ 2008-06-01  9:38 Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2008-06-01  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

my workflow for new appointments is

1. check agenda for free dates
   (cursor will be on the day/time of the free time slot)
2, use remember to record the appointment
   (currently inserting the timestamp manually)

I know I can insert new entries into the diary with "i". However, I do
not use the diary and keep all appointments in org.

Maybe someone has a remember template which automatically inserts the
timestamp from the cursor position (date in month and week modes, date
and time in day grid mode)

Thanks
Thomas

* Re: Remember in Agenda buffers
@ 2008-06-01 12:50 ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-06-01 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Baumann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 > my workflow for new appointments is
 >
 > 1. check agenda for free dates
 >    (cursor will be on the day/time of the free time slot)
 > 2, use remember to record the appointment
 >    (currently inserting the timestamp manually)
 >
 > I know I can insert new entries into the diary with "i". However, I do
 > not use the diary and keep all appointments in org.
 >
 > Maybe someone has a remember template which automatically inserts the
 > timestamp from the cursor position (date in month and week modes, date
 > and time in day grid mode)

This exactly is also an essential part of my workflow. I was also
looking for an "insert current date" functionality in org-remember but
realized that it is not there yet.  I tried to add it about a week ago
but did not find a simple way to get the date at which the cursor is
on the agenda (and also the time if on the grid), specially in the
case when there is nothing on that day (otherwise I guess one can
always read the time stamp from the entry you are at).  Unfortunately,
although I have done quite a bit of elisp programming I am not an
expert in the org code. Carsten, if you give me a hint I can give it
another try, or perhaps you can do just the part of getting the
time/date and I will do the rest (see below).

Linked to this, one thing I would also find very useful, and was also
trying to do, is being able to reschedule a given entry to earlier or
later in the grid (e.g., when trying to reschedule things during the
day).  I.e., sort of the same that we have for moving entries to a
previous or later date, but instead earlier or later in the same day.
If we can find a way to read date/time from the agenda view then I can
easily do this.

Cheers,

Manuel

 Manuel Hermenegildo                     |              Prof., C.S. Department
 Director, IMDEA-Software and CLIP Group |                T.U. of Madrid (UPM)
 http://www.cliplab.org/herme            | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* Re: Remember in Agenda buffers
@ 2008-06-09  4:05   ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-06-09  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Baumann, emacs-orgmode

 > If we can find a way to read date/time from the agenda view then I can
 > easily do this.

Actually, I found rereading Thomas Baumann's message I went back and
checked the code for org-agenda-diary-entry and I think everything
needed to get the date at point is there ((get-text-property (point)
'day) etc.) so I will give it a try. --Manuel

@ 2008-06-10  6:35     ` Dominik, C.
From: Dominik, C. @ 2008-06-10  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Hermenegildo, Thomas Baumann, emacs-orgmode

Hi Manuel,

yes, you can get the info from text properties.

A second question would be on how to get it into the template.
I can see two options here:

1. Create a new % escape
2. Use the date as the default date for the %^t and %^T escapes.  This
would then offer to select the date with RET, but it would still allo
to change it or to add a time specification.

I can see merrits for both options.  Opinions?

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-10 14:49       ` Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2008-06-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten and Manuel,

> 2. Use the date as the default date for the %^t and %^T escapes.  This
> would then offer to select the date with RET, but it would still allo
> to change it or to add a time specification.

I think this is what people would expect, at least I would. And this
option leaves room for further escapes....

@ 2008-06-16 16:13 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-16 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Baumann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thomas, Manuel,

On Jun 1, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Thomas Baumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my workflow for new appointments is
>
> 1. check agenda for free dates
>   (cursor will be on the day/time of the free time slot)
> 2, use remember to record the appointment
>   (currently inserting the timestamp manually)
>
> I know I can insert new entries into the diary with "i". However, I do
> not use the diary and keep all appointments in org.
>
> Maybe someone has a remember template which automatically inserts the
> timestamp from the cursor position (date in month and week modes, date
> and time in day grid mode)

Hi Thomas,

have made changes that will allow to do this, and more.  Thanks for this
idea, I think it is good new stuff.

Please check the releas notes of 6.05 when it appears.

- Carsten

* Re: Remember in Agenda buffers
@ 2008-06-16 16:48   ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-06-16 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Thomas Baumann, emacs-orgmode

 > have made changes that will allow to do this, and more.  Thanks for this
 > idea, I think it is good new stuff.

Wonderful, thanks!!! --Manuel

@ 2008-06-16 17:46   ` Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2008-06-16 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Thomas,
>
> have made changes that will allow to do this, and more.  Thanks for this
> idea, I think it is good new stuff.

Thank you very much, Carsten, I think I owe you a beer and/or a big
cake, whenever your in Munich :-)

Once again a fine example why using and developing org-mode is fun and
thankfully we do not have the discussions other lists are known
for. Let's continue like this.

* Re: Re: Remember in Agenda buffers
@ 2008-06-16 18:17     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-16 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Baumann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 16, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Thomas Baumann wrote:

>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> have made changes that will allow to do this, and more.  Thanks for
>> this
>> idea, I think it is good new stuff.
>>

> Thank you very much, Carsten, I think I owe you a beer and/or a big
> cake, whenever your in Munich :-)

:-)  I will take you up on this, one day...

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-16 19:43       ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-06-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Thomas Baumann, emacs-orgmode

 > > Thank you very much, Carsten, I think I owe you a beer and/or a big
 > > cake, whenever your in Munich :-)
 >
 > :-)  I will take you up on this, one day...

OK, OK, I will pay for another round! ;-) --Man