emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Weird Headline Behavior
@ 2019-02-08 20:54 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2019-02-08 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've been noticing some unusual behavior when I manipulate headlines (Org 9.2).

I have the following (or something similar) at the very end of many Org files:

* LOCAL VARIABLES
# Local Variables:
# mode: org
# coding: utf-8-unix
# End:

If I copy this subtree (C-c C-x M-w) and then yank it (C-c C-x C-y) into into the same file or another file, only the headline is yanked, the rest of the subtree is not.

In addition, if I decide to delete a different headline in the file (C-c C-x C-w) while the LOCAL VARIABLES headline is folded, then this appears on the display:

* LOCAL VARIABLES...# Local Variables:
# mode: org
# coding: utf-8-unix
# End:

I don't know if these facts are relevant or not, but this behavior happens when org-indent-mode is both on and off, and I have org-tags-column set to 0.

The folding behavior is not big deal since S-TAB or something similar corrects everything, but it is inconvenient to have to use regular copy and yank commands when I want to copy the subtree to a different file. Can anyone provide some insight into this?

Scott Randby

* Re: Weird Headline Behavior
@ 2019-02-12 22:37 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-02-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been noticing some unusual behavior when I manipulate headlines (Org 9.2).
>
> I have the following (or something similar) at the very end of many Org files:
>
> * LOCAL VARIABLES
> # Local Variables:
> # mode: org
> # coding: utf-8-unix
> # End:
>
> If I copy this subtree (C-c C-x M-w) and then yank it (C-c C-x C-y)
> into into the same file or another file, only the headline is yanked,
> the rest of the subtree is not.

This is because Org now has some code preserving file local variables at
the end of the document. Some headings related commands -- e.g., moving
or sorting them -- just ignore these comments.

If you really want to copy them, mark the section, with
`org-mark-subtree' and copy it with M-w.

> In addition, if I decide to delete a different headline in the file
> (C-c C-x C-w) while the LOCAL VARIABLES headline is folded, then this
> appears on the display:
>
> * LOCAL VARIABLES...# Local Variables:
> # mode: org
> # coding: utf-8-unix
> # End:

I fixed it. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Weird Headline Behavior
@ 2019-02-13  4:26   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2019-02-13  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

On 2/12/19 5:37 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Scott Randby writes:
>
>> I've been noticing some unusual behavior when I manipulate headlines (Org 9.2).
>>
>> I have the following (or something similar) at the very end of many Org files:
>>
>> * LOCAL VARIABLES
>> # Local Variables:
>> # mode: org
>> # coding: utf-8-unix
>> # End:
>>
>> If I copy this subtree (C-c C-x M-w) and then yank it (C-c C-x C-y)
>> into into the same file or another file, only the headline is yanked,
>> the rest of the subtree is not.
>
> This is because Org now has some code preserving file local variables at
> the end of the document. Some headings related commands -- e.g., moving
> or sorting them -- just ignore these comments.
>
> If you really want to copy them, mark the section, with
> `org-mark-subtree' and copy it with M-w.

Okay, I understand now.

>> In addition, if I decide to delete a different headline in the file
>> (C-c C-x C-w) while the LOCAL VARIABLES headline is folded, then this
>> appears on the display:
>>
>> * LOCAL VARIABLES...# Local Variables:
>> # mode: org
>> # coding: utf-8-unix