emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* FR: org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled
@ 2009-11-02 13:40 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-02 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Quick feature suggestion:

I just discovered `org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown',
which is a very nice option, but I actually want the opposite, i.e.
`org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled'.  The reason for this is that
if I have missed a deadline (sadly all too common), I want to be able
to schedule it for tomorrow and not have it show in today's agenda,
otherwise when planning today's activities, the total effort estimate
for today gets over-inflated by the deadlined task.

If `org-agenda-skip-if' supported boolean AND of the conditions then I
could have achieved this by customising all my agenda views, but a
global setting would be more convenient.

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: FR: org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled
@ 2009-11-02 14:21 ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-02 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Spiers (orgmode@adamspiers.org) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick feature suggestion:
>
> I just discovered `org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown',
> which is a very nice option, but I actually want the opposite, i.e.
> `org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled'.  The reason for this is that
> if I have missed a deadline (sadly all too common), I want to be able
> to schedule it for tomorrow and not have it show in today's agenda,
> otherwise when planning today's activities, the total effort estimate
> for today gets over-inflated by the deadlined task.

I just realised that this also applies not just to missed deadlines
but also upcoming ones.  In both cases, marking as scheduled indicates
that the deadline is being managed correctly and can safely be
excluded from the agenda view for today to avoid clutter and the
impact on today's time estimates.

* Re: FR: org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled
@ 2009-11-03  6:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-03  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is, unfortunately, hard because it depends on the sequence
in which scheduled and deadline are collected.

- Carsten

On Nov 2, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick feature suggestion:
>
> I just discovered `org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown',
> which is a very nice option, but I actually want the opposite, i.e.
> `org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled'.  The reason for this is that
> if I have missed a deadline (sadly all too common), I want to be able
> to schedule it for tomorrow and not have it show in today's agenda,
> otherwise when planning today's activities, the total effort estimate
> for today gets over-inflated by the deadlined task.
>
> If `org-agenda-skip-if' supported boolean AND of the conditions then I
> could have achieved this by customising all my agenda views, but a
> global setting would be more convenient.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

- Carsten

* Re: FR: org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled
@ 2009-11-03 10:49   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-03 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Damn :-) In that case, would it be easier to support boolean AND in
`org-agenda-skip-if' or in a similarly named function?  Or is there
another workaround you can think of?

Thanks!

@ 2009-11-03 17:01     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 3, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> Damn :-) In that case, would it be easier to support boolean AND in
> `org-agenda-skip-if' or in a similarly named function?  Or is there
> another workaround you can think of?

Well, the easiest work-round is to accept that a deadline visible in
your
agenda is, in a way, equivalent to having it scheduled for that day.

There is no Boolean END in the skipper, but you can write your own
function
that calls various instances of the skipper and combine the results
with AND.

HTH

- Carsten

> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 07:21:15AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> This is, unfortunately, hard because it depends on the sequence
>> in which scheduled and deadline are collected.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
>> On Nov 2, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Quick feature suggestion:
>>>
>>> I just discovered `org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-deadline-is-shown',
>>> which is a very nice option, but I actually want the opposite, i.e.
>>> `org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-scheduled'.  The reason for this is
>>> that
>>> if I have missed a deadline (sadly all too common), I want to be
>>> able
>>> to schedule it for tomorrow and not have it show in today's agenda,
>>> otherwise when planning today's activities, the total effort
>>> estimate
>>> for today gets over-inflated by the deadlined task.
>>>
>>> If `org-agenda-skip-if' supported boolean AND of the conditions
>>> then I
>>> could have achieved this by customising all my agenda views, but a
>>> global setting would be more convenient.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adam

- Carsten