emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* FR: creating a different notion for "today"
@ 2007-10-27  6:10 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-10-27  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I find myself lately almost always awake until 8am.  I get up in the
evening, go to bed at morning.  And yes, that red spot on my chin is
definitely ketchup.

I'd like a different notion of "today" than just "midnight to
midnight".  Most of my productive day is spent after midnight, so for
me, whenever I type C-a a, I always have to then hit the left arrow key
to see my (today's) task list from the point of view of last night.  It
also affects me when I want to schedule things for "today", since
org-mode's today is often my tomorrow.

Something like `org-mode-day-begin', which I could set to (* 60 8) to
say that each day go from 8am to 8am.  That would suit nicely.

John

* Re: FR: creating a different notion for "today"
@ 2007-10-28 20:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-28 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I can see that this might be practical, but also that it could be
confusing.
I am not sure if this is possible.  We would need a very careful
definition
under what circumstances you'd like this definition to take charge.

For example:

- when turning on the agenda, between midnight and 6am, the startup date
   could still be the previous day.
- when using "." in the agenda, we could go to the previous day.
- scheduling is much harder.
   - if you just hit RET, it could be yesterday for times before 6am
or so
   - if you enter a relative date it still sort-of works.
   - if you also enter a time, the trouble definitely starts.

Maybe you could try to write down a careful specification so that we
could discuss that here?

- Carsten