emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* changing Gnus paths: 'News' and 'Mail'
@ 2010-04-30 10:14 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2010-04-30 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Greetings Orgmoders

Problem description:
I want to get rid of the 'News' and 'Mail' directories in my home and
put them somewhere else instead:
'~/News' => '~/mypath/News'
'~/Mail' => '~/mypath/Mail'

Question: Which variables do I have to change so that gnus won't have
troubles with moving those directories?

E.g.: If I change 'gnus-home-directory' from '~/' to '~/mypath/', will
gnus-directory change to '~/mypath/News' or will it still be '~/News'?
Making it necessary for me to change it as well. (and maybe others too?)

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo

* [OT] Re: changing Gnus paths: 'News' and 'Mail'
@ 2010-04-30 15:19 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-30 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:14:13 +0200, Eraldo Helal <eraldo@eraldo.org> wrote:

> Greetings Orgmoders
>
> Problem description:
> I want to get rid of the 'News' and 'Mail' directories in my home and
> put them somewhere else instead:
> '~/News' => '~/mypath/News'
> '~/Mail' => '~/mypath/Mail'
>
> Question: Which variables do I have to change so that gnus won't have
> troubles with moving those directories?

No idea but what I do is simply link these home directory paths to the
real path:

  cd
  ln -s ~/mypath/News .

so that I can use different MUAs without having to worry about a
myriad of configurations variables...

Note that you may get better answers from the gnus newsgroup...

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: changing Gnus paths: 'News' and 'Mail'
@ 2010-04-30 15:57 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-30 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

Hi Eraldo,

Eraldo Helal <eraldo@eraldo.org> writes:
> Greetings Orgmoders
>
> Problem description:
> I want to get rid of the 'News' and 'Mail' directories in my home and
> put them somewhere else instead:
> '~/News' => '~/mypath/News'
> '~/Mail' => '~/mypath/Mail'
>
> Question: Which variables do I have to change so that gnus won't have
> troubles with moving those directories?

I have this in my .emacs:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 164 bytes --]

And I have this in ~/emacs/gnus/.gnus.el:

[-- Attachment #4: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 570 bytes --]

I guess the `gnus-home-directory' is OK in .gnus.el

> E.g.: If I change 'gnus-home-directory' from '~/' to '~/mypath/', will
> gnus-directory change to '~/mypath/News' or will it still be '~/News'?
> Making it necessary for me to change it as well. (and maybe others too?)

I'm not sure if it is easy to move those directories. I recall having
problems to do so. But that's quite a while ago.

  Sebastian

* Re: changing Gnus paths: 'News' and 'Mail'
@ 2010-04-30 16:32 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-04-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-Mode

Eraldo Helal <eraldo@eraldo.org> wrote:

> I want to get rid of the 'News' and 'Mail' directories in my home and
> put them somewhere else instead:
> '~/News' => '~/mypath/News'
> '~/Mail' => '~/mypath/Mail'
>
> Question: Which variables do I have to change so that gnus won't have
> troubles with moving those directories?
>
> E.g.: If I change 'gnus-home-directory' from '~/' to '~/mypath/', will
> gnus-directory change to '~/mypath/News' or will it still be '~/News'?
> Making it necessary for me to change it as well. (and maybe others too?)

Why not try it? Make a dot-emacs-modified-gnus with a different setting
of gnus-home-directory and the rest of your gnus settings unchanged,
start emacs with

       emacs -q -l dot-emacs-modified-gns

and check.

FWIW, C-h v gnus-home-directory <RET> says

,----
| gnus-home-directory is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is "~/"
|
| Documentation:
| Directory variable that specifies the "home" directory.
| All other Gnus file and directory variables are initialized from this variable.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

so it would seem that changing it would be enough to do what you want
(except that if you have explicitly set other directory-related variables
you might have to undo those, e.g.

,----
| gnus-directory is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is "~/News/"
|
| Documentation:
| *Directory variable from which all other Gnus file variables are derived.
|
| Note that Gnus is mostly loaded when the `.gnus.el' file is read.
| This means that other directory variables that are initialized from
| this variable won't be set properly if you set this variable in `.gnus.el'.
| Set this variable in `.emacs' instead.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

I read this that gnus-directory is initialized *from* gnus-home-directory,
but a small amount of experimentation should settle the matter.

Similarly

,----
| gnus-article-save-directory is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is "~/News/"
|
| Documentation:
| *Name of the directory articles will be saved in (default "~/News").
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

If you have explicitly set those, you probably want to unset them.
And there may be others of course.)

HTH,
Nick

* Re: changing Gnus paths: 'News' and 'Mail'
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-30 21:37 ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2010-04-30 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

Eraldo Helal <eraldo@eraldo.org> writes:

> Greetings Orgmoders
>
> Problem description:
> I want to get rid of the 'News' and 'Mail' directories in my home and
> put them somewhere else instead:
> '~/News' => '~/mypath/News'
> '~/Mail' => '~/mypath/Mail'
>
> Question: Which variables do I have to change so that gnus won't have
> troubles with moving those directories?
>
> E.g.: If I change 'gnus-home-directory' from '~/' to '~/mypath/', will
> gnus-directory change to '~/mypath/News' or will it still be '~/News'?
> Making it necessary for me to change it as well. (and maybe others too?)
>
> Greetings from Austria,
> Eraldo

Hi Eraldo

I use gnus-home-directory set to ~/Dropbox and the News and Mail
directories were created relative to that path. I've just checked my
.emacs and .gnus files and there is nothing else there relating to the
home directory so it looks like that's all that's needed.

In fact if you check the info on that variable it says 'All other Gnus
file and directory variables are initialized from this variable.'

Paul

* Re: changing Gnus paths: 'News' and 'Mail'
@ 2010-05-01 17:32   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2010-05-01 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead, Sebastian Rose, Nicholas Dokos, Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Org-Mode

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@googlemail.com> writes:
> I use gnus-home-directory set to ~/Dropbox and the News and Mail
> directories were created relative to that path. I've just checked my
> .emacs and .gnus files and there is nothing else there relating to the
> home directory so it looks like that's all that's needed.
>
> In fact if you check the info on that variable it says 'All other Gnus
> file and directory variables are initialized from this variable.'

You are right, setting 'gnus-home-directory' alone is sufficient
(theoretically).
However, that alone triggered recreation of Mail ind News directories in
my home.
The solution for me was to move .newsrc and .newsrc-dribble to
the new location as well.

Thank you Paul.
And additional thanks to Sebastian Rose, Nicholas Dokos and
Eric S Fraga for your ideas and suggestions.

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo