emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Default location for "./" with respect to capture file+headline
@ 2016-02-06  3:19 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-02-06  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

I'm trying to show an Org-mode demo within a folder for a talk. I
can't show my actual work stuff as it's confidential, so I'm trying to
create a self-contained org directory.

I have a dir with a setup like so:

dir/
dir/setup/example-config
dir/libs/{org-mode, ESS, others}
dir/demo/demo-file.org

I'm loading emacs like this (after cd-ing to dir)

emacs -q -l setup/example-config

It's loading org-mode from the ./libs directory (vs. ~/.elisp) and the
first line is:

(cd "/path/to/dir/")

When I do =C-c c= to try a capture example, it's trying to file it
with respect to ~/org and I'm not sure why. Here's the capture section
of dir/setup/example-config:

(setq org-capture-templates
  '(("l" "log" entry (file+headline "./demo/org-demo_capture.org" "Log")
         "* %? \n%u " :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
    ("t" "task" entry (file+headline "./demo/org-demo_article.org" "Tasks")
         "* todo %? %^g\n%u" :prepend t)
    ("c" "clock" entry (file+datetree "./demo/org-demo_clocking.org")
         "* %?\n%u" :clock-in t :clock-keep t)))

The capture buffer wants to create the directory ~/org/demo.

Thanks for any pointers!

John

* Re: Default location for "./" with respect to capture file+headline
@ 2016-02-06  3:55 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2016-02-06  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> When I do =C-c c= to try a capture example, it's trying to file it
> with respect to ~/org and I'm not sure why. Here's the capture section
> of dir/setup/example-config:
>
> (setq org-capture-templates
>   '(("l" "log" entry (file+headline "./demo/org-demo_capture.org" "Log")
>          "* %? \n%u " :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
>     ("t" "task" entry (file+headline "./demo/org-demo_article.org" "Tasks")
>          "* todo %? %^g\n%u" :prepend t)
>     ("c" "clock" entry (file+datetree "./demo/org-demo_clocking.org")
>          "* %?\n%u" :clock-in t :clock-keep t)))
>
> The capture buffer wants to create the directory ~/org/demo.

The variable org-directory affects this:

Documentation:
Directory with Org files.
This is just a default location to look for Org files.  There is no need
at all to put your files into this directory.  It is used in the
following situations:

1. When a capture template specifies a target file that is not an
   absolute path.  The path will then be interpreted relative to
   ‘org-directory’
2. When the value of variable ‘org-agenda-files’ is a single file, any
   relative paths in this file will be taken as relative to
   ‘org-directory’.

Kyle

* Re: Default location for "./" with respect to capture file+headline
@ 2016-02-07 15:30   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2016-02-07 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> When I do =C-c c= to try a capture example, it's trying to file it
>> with respect to ~/org and I'm not sure why. Here's the capture section
>> of dir/setup/example-config:
>>
>> (setq org-capture-templates
>>   '(("l" "log" entry (file+headline "./demo/org-demo_capture.org" "Log")
>>          "* %? \n%u " :clock-in t :clock-resume t)
>>     ("t" "task" entry (file+headline "./demo/org-demo_article.org" "Tasks")
>>          "* todo %? %^g\n%u" :prepend t)
>>     ("c" "clock" entry (file+datetree "./demo/org-demo_clocking.org")
>>          "* %?\n%u" :clock-in t :clock-keep t)))
>>
>> The capture buffer wants to create the directory ~/org/demo.
>
> The variable org-directory affects this:

> Documentation:
> Directory with Org files.
> This is just a default location to look for Org files.  There is no need
> at all to put your files into this directory.  It is used in the
> following situations:
>
> 1. When a capture template specifies a target file that is not an
>    absolute path.  The path will then be interpreted relative to
>    ‘org-directory’
> 2. When the value of variable ‘org-agenda-files’ is a single file, any
>    relative paths in this file will be taken as relative to
>    ‘org-directory’.

Thank you very much! That did it and let me run my "sandbox" org
capture demonstration nicely.

So I can fish for myself next time, did you happen to just know this
relationship, or search the manuals for "capture"? I took a look at
the templates manual page and simply say file+headline used, though
with an absolute path.
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Capture-templates.html#Capture-templates

In any case, thanks again for the tip.
John

@ 2016-02-07 17:00     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2016-02-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Thank you very much! That did it and let me run my "sandbox" org
> capture demonstration nicely.
>
> So I can fish for myself next time, did you happen to just know this
> relationship, or search the manuals for "capture"? I took a look at
> the templates manual page and simply say file+headline used, though
> with an absolute path.
> - http://orgmode.org/manual/Capture-templates.html#Capture-templates

It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the capture documentation (either the
manual or org-capture-templates's docstring).  I think I knew about
org-directory from looking into something with
org-read-agenda-file-list, which is another place it is used.  Until
recently, org-directory's docstring was stale for a long time and nobody
noticed, so I'm guessing few people use the variable.

I've updated org-capture-templates and the capturing section of the
manual to mention org-directory.

--
Kyle