emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-table: Can't assign numbers to range
@ 2017-02-08 15:25 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2017-02-08 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

| foo |
|-----|
|     |
|-----|
|     |
|-----|
#+TBLFM: @I$1..@II$1=1 :: @II$1..@III$1=2

Results in "user-error: Can't assign to hline relative reference"

Why?

I assumed to get following table as a result:

| foo |
|-----|
|   1 |
|   1 |
|-----|
|   2 |
|   2 |
|-----|
#+TBLFM: @I$1..@II$1=1 :: @II$1..@III$1=2

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/

* Re: org-table: Can't assign numbers to range
@ 2017-02-10 16:06 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-10 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> | foo |
> |-----|
> |     |
> |     |
> |-----|
> |     |
> |     |
> |-----|
>
> #+TBLFM: @I$1..@II$1=1 :: @II$1..@III$1=2
>
> Results in "user-error: Can't assign to hline relative reference"
>
> Why?

Because "@I$1..@II$1" is not as obvious as you may think at first
thought. As a consequence, it is forbidden.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-table: Can't assign numbers to range
@ 2017-02-10 17:04   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2017-02-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> | foo |
>> |-----|
>> |     |
>> |     |
>> |-----|
>> |     |
>> |     |
>> |-----|
>>
>> #+TBLFM: @I$1..@II$1=1 :: @II$1..@III$1=2
>>
>> Results in "user-error: Can't assign to hline relative reference"
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because "@I$1..@II$1" is not as obvious as you may think at first
> thought. As a consequence, it is forbidden.

Hm. So is it true that I can't come up with a formula that fills up
the cells with those integers except cell-by-cell?

--

@ 2017-02-11  0:43     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-11  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

>> Because "@I$1..@II$1" is not as obvious as you may think at first
>> thought. As a consequence, it is forbidden.
>
> Hm. So is it true that I can't come up with a formula that fills up
> the cells with those integers except cell-by-cell?

Not if you can come up with a left-hand side that doesn't refer to
@I or @II.

Regards,