emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [org-babel] How to refer to a specific property when it is defined multiple times?
@ 2010-03-26 15:54 Julien Fantin
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-03-26 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Consider the following :

* heading A
:PROPERTIES:
:BUSY_PROPERTY: AAA
:END:
* heading B
:PROPERTIES:
:BUSY_PROPERTY: BBB
:END:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(org-entry-get nil "BUSY_PROPERTY" t)
test
#+end_src
#+results:
: BBB

#+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(org-property-values "BUSY_PROPERTY")
test
#+end_src
#+results:
| BBB | AAA |

Is there a way I can refer to my BUSY_PROPERTY, in the context of particular
heading ?
Has shown above, I can not get a reference to the heading it was defined in.
Is there a way to deal with those namespacing conerns right now ?

Note : This emacs-lisp evaluation in src headers has only been recently
implemented by Eric schulte.

cheers

* Re: [org-babel] How to refer to a specific property when it is defined multiple times?
@ 2010-03-26 16:33 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-03-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Fantin <julien.fantin@gmail.com> writes:

> Consider the following :
>
> * heading A
> :PROPERTIES:
> :BUSY_PROPERTY: AAA
> :END:
> * heading B
> :PROPERTIES:
> :BUSY_PROPERTY: BBB
> :END:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(org-entry-get nil "BUSY_PROPERTY" t)
> test
> #+end_src
> #+results:
> : BBB
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(org-property-values "BUSY_PROPERTY")
> test
> #+end_src
> #+results:
> | BBB | AAA |
>

> Is there a way I can refer to my BUSY_PROPERTY, in the context of particular
> heading ?

Hi Julien,

You've probably thought of these, but the ways I can think of are

An org-babel method:
--------------------

1. place a "reporter" elisp block in the heading, e.g.

* heading A
:PROPERTIES:
:BUSY_PROPERTY: AAA
:END:

#+source: reporter-A
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var prop=""
(org-entry-get nil prop t)
#+end_src

* heading B
:PROPERTIES:
:BUSY_PROPERTY: BBB
:END:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var test=reporter-A(prop="BUSY_PROPERTY")
test
#+end_src

#+results:
: AAA

Elisp methods:
--------------

I think identifying headings with CUSTOM_IDs, and usinng the org
function org-id-find could help here:

1. Expand the elisp code in the :var reference so that it moves to the
   desired heading before calling org-entry-get, under the protection of
   a save-excursion.

2. Put the elisp code in (1) into an elisp block
   "get-property-at-heading", and use something like
   :var test=get-property-at-heading(heading-id=id, prop="BUSY_PROPERTY")

Dan

@ 2010-03-26 16:34 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-03-26 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Julien,

Is the following alternative sufficient?

* heading A
:PROPERTIES:
:BUSY_PROPERTY: AAA
:END:
* heading B
:PROPERTIES:
:BUSY_PROPERTY: BBB
:END:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(org-entry-get nil "BUSY_PROPERTY" t)
test
#+end_src
#+results:
: BBB

#+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(car (org-property-values "BUSY_PROPERTY"))
test
#+end_src

#+results:
: BBB

#+begin_src emacs-lisp  :var test=(cadr (org-property-values "BUSY_PROPERTY"))
test
#+end_src

#+results:
: AAA