emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* how to upgrade org-mode version?
@ 2010-06-05 21:34 Kristofer Bergstrom
From: Kristofer Bergstrom @ 2010-06-05 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to upgrade my version of org-mode (I'm using Emacs23),
with the hopes it will solve a problem of the :tags option not being
evaluated in clocktable dynamic blocks.  According to "M-x
org-version", I am currently using 6.21b.  Matt pointed me to
http://orgmode.org/org-6.36c.tar.gz .

Is there information available about how to upgrade, or install
multiple versions of org-mode?  The "Installation" instructions in the
org-mode manual refer to Emacs22 or to enabling the pre-installed
Emacs23 version.

Thank you in advance!

Kris Bergstrom
Los Angeles CA

* Re: how to upgrade org-mode version?
@ 2010-06-05 22:30 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-05 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Bergstrom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kristofer Bergstrom <kris@OnEnsemble.org> writes:

> I would like to upgrade my version of org-mode (I'm using Emacs23),
> with the hopes it will solve a problem of the :tags option not being
> evaluated in clocktable dynamic blocks.  According to "M-x
> org-version", I am currently using 6.21b.  Matt pointed me to
> http://orgmode.org/org-6.36c.tar.gz .
>
> Is there information available about how to upgrade, or install
> multiple versions of org-mode?  The "Installation" instructions in the
> org-mode manual refer to Emacs22 or to enabling the pre-installed
> Emacs23 version.
>
> Thank you in advance!

Hi,

just download the new version and unpack it in some directory then add
that directory to your load path.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Re: how to upgrade org-mode version?
@ 2010-06-06  4:42   ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-06-06  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Kristofer Bergstrom, emacs-orgmode

See:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation

And if you're not installing globally with 'make install' (I don't)
make sure that the org manual gets read by adding /path/to/org/doc to

 'Info-default-directory-list
like so:

  (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")

Scot

@ 2010-06-10  7:37 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-06-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristofer Bergstrom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kris,

You may have discovered this in the meantime, but I gave you the wrong line
for adding the org documentation to your info-path in emacs (so that M-x
org-info gets you to the latest docs).  It's not

 (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")

but:

 (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")

I don't know how long this has been broken in my own setup, but I just
noticed it and thought I'd correct my advice to you.  If you actually
install org mode to a place that the info commands can find (/usr/local
perhaps) you don't need this.  But I just put the org repository right in my
~/.emacs.d/vendor/ directory, compile it in place, and leave it there.  As
long as I add the right paths to the org-mode/lisp and org-mode/doc,
everything works.

If you use stuff from the org contrib directory, you can also do:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/you/newpath/org-mode/contrib/lisp")

Scot

* Re: how to upgrade org-mode version?
@ 2010-06-10 13:08   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-10 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Kristofer Bergstrom, emacs-orgmode

Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:

> Kris,
>
> You may have discovered this in the meantime, but I gave you the wrong line for adding the org
> documentation to your info-path in emacs (so that M-x org-info gets you to the latest docs).  It's
> not
>
>  (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")
>
> but:
>
>  (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")
>
> I don't know how long this has been broken in my own setup, but I just noticed it and thought I'd
> correct my advice to you.

The first version works if you restart emacs.  Info-directory-list is
set by Info-default-directory-list once at startup.

@ 2010-06-10 14:49     ` Fernando Naufel do Amaral
From: Fernando Naufel do Amaral @ 2010-06-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Kris,
>>
>> You may have discovered this in the meantime, but I gave you the wrong line for adding the org
>> documentation to your info-path in emacs (so that M-x org-info gets you to the latest docs).  It's
>> not
>>
>>  (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")
>>
>> but:
>>
>>  (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "/path/to/org/doc")
>>
>> I don't know how long this has been broken in my own setup, but I just noticed it and thought I'd
>> correct my advice to you.
>
> The first version works if you restart emacs.  Info-directory-list is
> set by Info-default-directory-list once at startup.
>
> -Bernt

  Unless the environment variable INFOPATH is already set, in which
  case its value is used to set Info-directory-list (and the value of
  Info-default-directory-list is simply ignored).

  In my case, following the documentation on Info-directory-list, I
  changed the INFOPATH variable in my .profile file (I use bash).

Fernando Náufel, D.Sc.
fnaufel@ic.uff.br
http://fnaufel.wordpress.com
http://www.uff.br/llarc

Professor Adjunto
(~Professor Doctor -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor#Brazil)
LLaRC - Laboratório de Lógica e Representação do Conhecimento
DCT - Depto. de Ciência e Tecnologia
PURO - Pólo Universitário de Rio das Ostras
UFF - Universidade Federal Fluminense
Brazil

* Re: how to upgrade org-mode version?
@ 2010-06-10 15:56   ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2010-06-10 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the follow-up, I corrected my config.

When I ran "M-x org-info" I saw the message "Info-find-file: Info file
org does not exist".  Running "make info" to produce the org info file
resolved this.